Program to ERASE EVERY THING on hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Azvedo, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    Shirley Azvedo, Jun 16, 2006

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Fred Guest

    http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

    Fred, Jun 16, 2006

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    Phantom Guest

    I would suggest removing the hard drive(s) from the computer and trashing
    them with a hammer.

    Phantom, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    Dan Guest

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Dan, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Shirley Azvedo

    Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:23:11 GMT, "Shirley Azvedo"
    <> wrote:

    >Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    >drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    Lump hammer

    , Jun 16, 2006
  6. Shirley Azvedo

    Plato Guest

    Shirley Azvedo wrote:

    > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    Search google for zero fill utilities.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 17, 2006
  7. Howdy!

    > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
    "KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
    "Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.

    If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
    Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
    anything nor identifiable as anything.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 17, 2006
  8. Shirley Azvedo

    Plato Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    > > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    > > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    > How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
    > "KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
    > "Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.
    >
    > If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
    > Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
    > anything nor identifiable as anything.

    I have a real paranoid client who does major XXX stuff on USEnet.
    Interestingly, she is 75 years old, wallpapers her computer room with
    aluminum foil, and searches my bag when I arrive and leave to make sure
    I didn't accidentally take any "paper notes" with me.

    I dont mind at all as her checks are always good and she alwyays buys
    her new pcs from me. In regards to
    "high enough", for her old hard disks, she takes them apart and sands
    the platters. After that, she burries them in the dirt outside in the
    backyard.

    Plato, Jun 17, 2006
  9. Shirley Azvedo

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 17 Jun 2006 17:59:01 -0500, an entity identified as Plato
    <|@|.|> proudly proclaimed:

    >Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    >>
    >> > Have old computer to get rid of and want to completely clean off the hard
    >> > drive first. Please give the name of a good program to do this. Thanks

    >> How high is your paranoia level? If low enough, then a simple
    >> "KillDisk" (pointed to by others) or using the hard disk manufacturer's
    >> "Fill with Zeroes" from their testing software will do.
    >>
    >> If it's high enough, then take the drive out and introduce it to Mr.
    >> Sledgehammer, repeated, until all that's left is small pieces not fit for
    >> anything nor identifiable as anything.

    >I have a real paranoid client who does major XXX stuff on USEnet.
    >Interestingly, she is 75 years old, wallpapers her computer room with
    >aluminum foil, and searches my bag when I arrive and leave to make sure
    >I didn't accidentally take any "paper notes" with me.
    >
    >I dont mind at all as her checks are always good and she alwyays buys
    >her new pcs from me. In regards to
    >"high enough", for her old hard disks, she takes them apart and sands
    >the platters. After that, she burries them in the dirt outside in the
    >backyard.

    I tried putting one into a fire once...ended up with a pretty little
    pool of metal.
    --

    Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!

    Frosty, Jun 18, 2006
  10. Shirley Azvedo

    Plato Guest

    Frosty wrote:

    > I tried putting one into a fire once...ended up with a pretty little
    > pool of metal.

    Must have been a hot fire.

    Plato, Jun 18, 2006