Program to control the taskbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jagr68, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jagr68

Jagr68

My operating system: Windows XP

I'm looking to write a program that will help me to quickly control the applications I have open on the taskbar. This is the scenario: I have 13 applications opened along the taskbar. The very first one (the one right next to the start button and quick launch toolbar) is always the game lobby (I suppose I should clarify by now that this is for a game). The following 12 applications are 12 different game rooms that I am simultaneously active in.

I position the 12 different game rooms such that the first 6 are simultaneously visible on the screen and the second 6 are positioned at the same exact locations on screen as the first 6. So essentially only half the tables are visible at once.

Ultimately what I'm looking to accomplish is a way to set up a hot key so that I can quickly flip between the first 6 game rooms and the second 6 game rooms instead of having to individually click on them in the taskbar to bring them up to the front.

I'm not interested in using a virtual desktop because I have tried a few different ones and it doesn't quite accomplish what I want.

All I need is a way that I can set a hot key (a bunch of which my keyboard provides) that would basically simulate the physical act of taking the mouse and clicking on the first 6 game rooms in the taskbar or the second 6 game rooms. I'm looking to do this with the original Explorer shell. Thanks so much for any help. Much appreciated.
    Jagr68, Jan 7, 2008
    1. Advertising

2. Jagr68

urstop

You can write a small application in VB or something which keeps a reference to the 12 applications, the application can be made to run in the system tray, just besides your time display and have option called toggle, clicking on it can toggle the 6 applications. All this can be done with the explorer shell APIs.

Thanks,
    Hyderabad
    urstop, Jan 8, 2008
    1. Advertising

3. Jagr68

Jagr68

Okay, I'm going to look into the VB language a little bit and see if I can figure out how to make this happen. If you don't mind could you sort of point me in the right direction? Like what functions in VB should I be interested in or what would the code generally look like? How would I reference the 12 applications? Thanks so much again for all the help.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
    Jagr68, Jan 8, 2008
    1. Advertising