    than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

    Thanks.

    t.rex, May 3, 2004

  2. t.rex

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "t.rex" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns94DDC4240F2ECasdlfjk@140.99.99.130...
    > Can anyone recommend a program that will mass-complete the properties and
    > comments fields on a variety of file types including MS Word, Acrobat, and
    > various graphic images? My hope is to make these documents and images more
    > easily searchable on my hard drive. It seems there *must* be an easier way
    > than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.

    Why? Associations are automatically set when you install the program that
    would typical open them.

    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004

  3. t.rex wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a program that will mass-complete the properties and
    > comments fields on a variety of file types including MS Word, Acrobat, and
    > various graphic images? My hope is to make these documents and images more
    > easily searchable on my hard drive. It seems there *must* be an easier way
    > than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.

    Write a macro /VBA script and embed it in normal.dot and any
    other templates you fancy.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 3, 2004
  4. t.rex

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:16:25 GMT, "t.rex" <> scribbled:

    >Can anyone recommend a program that will mass-complete the properties and
    >comments fields on a variety of file types including MS Word, Acrobat, and
    >various graphic images? My hope is to make these documents and images more
    >easily searchable on my hard drive. It seems there *must* be an easier way
    >than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?
    >
    >Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

    Umm, HUH?! Start -> find files & folders -> *.jpg or *.doc or *.pdf

    What exactly is it you're trying to acomplish, what's the properties
    of the file(s) have to do with it?

    What ARE you talking about?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, May 3, 2004
  5. t.rex

    t.rex Guest

    -= Hawk =- <> asked:

    > What ARE you talking about?

    I'd like to find a program that will allow me to set the properties of
    Title, Subject, Author, Category, Keywords, Commenets, etc. in existing
    Word files; as well as something similar (hopefully the same application)
    in Acrobat and jpeg files. I'm not asking for instructions on how to change
    the settings in Word for new files that I create, but how to tag existing
    files to make for easier indexing.

    I'm no programmer, but it certainly seems to me that such a program ought
    to be out there somewhere.

    Anyone?

    t.rex, May 3, 2004
  6. t.rex

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "t.rex" <> wrote in message
    > -= Hawk =- <> asked:
    >
    > > What ARE you talking about?

    > I'd like to find a program that will allow me to set the properties of
    > Title, Subject, Author, Category, Keywords, Commenets, etc. in existing
    > Word files; as well as something similar (hopefully the same application)
    > in Acrobat and jpeg files. I'm not asking for instructions on how to

    change
    > the settings in Word for new files that I create, but how to tag existing
    > files to make for easier indexing.
    >
    > I'm no programmer, but it certainly seems to me that such a program ought
    > to be out there somewhere.
    >
    > Anyone?

    Other than the one comment about writing a VBS script to do that for Word,
    you're probably SOL. I'm familiar with several file managment utilities, but
    haven't seen anything like that.

    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004
  7. t.rex

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:24:21 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:16:25 GMT, "t.rex" <> scribbled:
    >
    >>Can anyone recommend a program that will mass-complete the properties and
    >>comments fields on a variety of file types including MS Word, Acrobat, and
    >>various graphic images? My hope is to make these documents and images more
    >>easily searchable on my hard drive. It seems there *must* be an easier way
    >>than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

    >Umm, HUH?! Start -> find files & folders -> *.jpg or *.doc or *.pdf
    >
    >What exactly is it you're trying to acomplish, what's the properties
    >of the file(s) have to do with it?
    >
    >What ARE you talking about?

    Files can have tons of so-called "metadata" assigned to them: Author,
    Revision Number, Version, Comments, etc. The OP is looking for a way
    to populate these tags en masse.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 3, 2004
  8. t.rex

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:16:25 GMT, "t.rex" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a program that will mass-complete the properties and
    >comments fields on a variety of file types including MS Word, Acrobat, and
    >various graphic images? My hope is to make these documents and images more
    >easily searchable on my hard drive. It seems there *must* be an easier way
    >than right-clicking on each document and tying in the properties?
    >
    >Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks.

    Metadata Miner will let you do this.

    "Mass documents update function to easily modify a set of MS Office or
    Windows 2000 documents properties: you can apply the same modification
    to all the files of a directory (change company name, author,
    category, files keywords properties, etc.) including sub-folders."

    http://peccatte.karefil.com/software/Catalogue/MetadataMiner.htm

    There are others such tools as well.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 3, 2004
  9. t.rex

    t.rex Guest

    Dan Shea <> wrote in

    > Metadata Miner will let you do this.
    >
    > "Mass documents update function to easily modify a set of MS Office or
    > Windows 2000 documents properties: you can apply the same modification
    > to all the files of a directory (change company name, author,
    > category, files keywords properties, etc.) including sub-folders."
    >
    > http://peccatte.karefil.com/software/Catalogue/MetadataMiner.htm

    Thanks! This seems to be exactly what I was looking for, at least with
    respect to Word files. I'm not certain that it works as well for Acrobat
    files or jpeg images.

    Thanks again.

    t.rex, May 3, 2004
  10. t.rex

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 03:29:30 GMT, "t.rex" <> wrote:

    >Dan Shea <> wrote in
    >
    >> Metadata Miner will let you do this.
    >>
    >> "Mass documents update function to easily modify a set of MS Office or
    >> Windows 2000 documents properties: you can apply the same modification
    >> to all the files of a directory (change company name, author,
    >> category, files keywords properties, etc.) including sub-folders."
    >>
    >> http://peccatte.karefil.com/software/Catalogue/MetadataMiner.htm

    >Thanks! This seems to be exactly what I was looking for, at least with
    >respect to Word files. I'm not certain that it works as well for Acrobat
    >files or jpeg images.

    You're welcome. I'm not certain it will do those either, but I have
    used it to set other attributes (e.g. Version, Revision Number) that
    are common to other file types as well, such as .exe and .bin files,
    not just MS Office documents.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 3, 2004