    ctrl, alt, delete and get task manager and have to end task which is a not
    responing program, end now...and I have to start all over from desk top.

    What might be possible reason and a fix to it???

    =?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Off the top of my head this could be because for any of the following reasons:
    1. There is no or an invalid application registered to open the extention of
    the attachment.
    2. The of of the temp directories has trash left in it from a previous
    failed attempt to open the attachment.
    3. The attachment if FUBAR.
    4. The attachment has a virus.
    5. Your hard drive is fragmented causing memory and or data corruption.
    6. Your email program needs to be patched.

    For simplicity sake, I would start at the bottom of the list and go up in
    troubleshooting.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 8, 2006

  3. I tried defragging...not sure if this fixed anything or not ,time will
    tell...but since this problem does happen while browsing and in the email, on
    my laptop but not on the decktop maybe it is related to the temp directories
    as you said in #2...How do I get the trash out of there?

    =?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free. Be
    very carefull how you configure it.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Ran my spyware and tried the ccleaner...still the same problem..Any other
    ideas???

    =?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Since you are having problems with both your brower and email client, I am
    somewhat willing to suspect either another internet based application causing
    a conflict, and IE plug-in, a virus, virus or anti-spyware scanner or some
    peice of spyware. Something that is affecting TCP/IP and not actually the
    browser and email client. However, assuming you are using the same browser
    version and email client verion on both machines, use the Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard to copy your settings from the working machine to the
    non-working machine. You might want to start with a clean profile first on
    the non-working machine. Before you do, create a new profile on the
    non-working machine and configure it. If it fails, then the problem is not
    profile related (unless the Default User profile is corrupted) If
    successful, then the problem was profile related. Is the client you are
    using MS Outlook Express? If so, uninstall, reboot, reinstall and patch and
    try again. Also, didnt you mention you were having trouble browsing? Do you
    have any third party plug-ins installed? Try running Spybot Search and
    Destroy and see what it finds. One other thing, are you running the same
    virus scanner on both machines? Are they both updated? Anything that
    affects the IO process, drivers, virus scanners can cause memory corruption.
    The real time scanners in a lot of the brand name virus scanners can cause a
    lot of issues. I use AVG by Grisoft. It has a low memory and processor
    footprint and I have never had memory corruption from it Real Time Scanner.
    But I do not use the AVG Firewall it is a port of another product and does
    not as stable as I would like.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 9, 2006
  7. DeathNACan,
    I read on another thread that many users of MS-IE are having similar
    problems. I will take your advise and try it. I will post the results.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
    RJ Riptide

    =?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=, Aug 10, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can't uninstall Outlook Express (except manually). Add/Remove Windows
    components only removes access shortcuts. You can try to rerun the setup
    program from the Programs/Outlook Express folder. Don't know what that
    does.

    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2006
  9. If I recall, there is a regkey that you can set to fool the OS into thinking
    that it is not installed and do a reinstall.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 11, 2006