    correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly and I
    can access web sites via Google.
    Alistair

    Alistair Macdonald, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Alistair Macdonald

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Alistair Macdonald" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the
    > space provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down
    > of recently visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The
    > program is not responding. To return to Windows and check the status
    > of the program, click Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status
    > of th program and how do I correct the fault? All other facilities
    > appear to be working properly and I can access web sites via Google.
    > Alistair

    Have you updated windows recently?
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=19125

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Alistair Macdonald

    Karel Guest

    Well... To check the status of the app you can press "ctrl+Alt+Delete".
    Did you try another browser like Mozilla

    --
    Kare
    Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.i

    Karel, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Alistair Macdonald

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:25:07 +0100, "Alistair Macdonald"
    <> wrote:

    >Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the space
    >provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down of recently
    >visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The program is not
    >responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click
    >Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status of th program and how do I
    >correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly and I
    >can access web sites via Google.
    >Alistair

    Operating system?
    Version of IE?

    Try another browser.

    Evan Platt, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Fred and others,
    I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
    others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the last
    few weeks so that may be the culprit.
    Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in the
    Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files. The much
    mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.
    Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it with
    a follow up?
    As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
    reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
    Changing my browser is not an option!
    Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?
    Alistair

    Alistair Macdonald, Apr 18, 2006
  6. Alistair Macdonald

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-18, Alistair Macdonald <> wrote:
    > Fred and others,
    > I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
    > others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the last
    > few weeks so that may be the culprit.
    > Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in the
    > Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files. The much
    > mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.

    If you are not running HP "Share-to-web" and you are not running Kerio then
    there isn't a fix I know of, if the reference addresses your problem at all.

    > Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it with
    > a follow up?

    Probably, but don't hold your breath.

    > As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
    > reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
    > Changing my browser is not an option!

    Why not? Export your book marks or just install Firefox and it will just
    import for you directly.

    > Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?

    Try a different browser. You don't have to keep using it if it doesn't work.

    --
    Downloading a new browser and trying it is about the easiest thing to do.

    Jimchip, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Alistair Macdonald

    > Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described
    > in the Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program
    > files

    If want to disable HP share to web
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/hp.vbs

    To uninstall the update
    Start Menu
    Run...
    C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB908531$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    OK

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Alistair Macdonald

    Peaches Guest

    "Alistair Macdonald" <> wrote in message
    > Fred and others,
    > I have visited the Aumha web site and recognise my problem as seen by
    > others. I vaguely remember downloading an update from Microsoft in the
    > last few weeks so that may be the culprit.
    > Unfortunately I cannot understand the suggested remedies as described in
    > the Aumha web site, nor can I find the MS update in my Program files.

    MS updates/patches/hotfixes are found:
    Start/settings/Control Panel/Add,Remove programs

    > mentioned HP references don't appear to apply to my problem.
    > Should I not expect, now that the fault is recognised, MS to rectify it
    > with a follow up?
    > As of now I am still without access to websites via my home page, and to
    > reply to at least one advisor, I run Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.
    > Changing my browser is not an option!

    Yes, you can use any browser you want to, you don't UNinstall IE,
    You download and run in parallel.

    > Are there any easier (for me) solutions to my problem?
    > Alistair

    Try this:
    You posted via OE, so these links should be viable,
    The first is google, and the second is BT's homepage,
    Try them, if IE loads and takes you to the sites, you have
    two options. With the site loaded, click on
    File/Send/Shortcut to desktop
    An Icon will be placed on your desktop and you can
    access the sites directly from the newly created desktop-
    shortcut(s). Alternatively add them to favorites:
    With site loaded, Click "Favorites"/Add to favorites.
    I'm assuming you know how to access favorites?
    If not and you are unfamiliar, try it now -
    GoTo: Start/Favorites and a list may already be there
    of sites including your BT homepage.
    These are direct links to sites, you can add/remove any
    site to favorites.

    http://www.google.co.uk/

    http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/broadbandstart/bbs_landing_page.html

    Peaches, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Alistair Macdonald

    > Internet Explorer. BTYahoo home page. When I type in a URL in the space
    > provided, and click Go, nothing happens, nor does the drop down of
    > recently visited sites work. Eventually a window opens - The program is
    > not responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program,
    > click Cancel. That's all. Where do I find the status of th program and how
    > do I correct the fault? All other facilities appear to be working properly
    > and I can access web sites via Google.
    > Alistair

    Au79 posted of some problems with a MS security update that
    has transpired to be widespread, here is the MS article, and
    some aspects of your problem could be caused by this?:

    Peaches, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Thanks to all for the wealth of advice received. I've learnt a lot, and
    there was a happy ending. I logged on as usual this morning expecting the
    continuing worst, but no. The address bar was re-instated, as was the drop
    down of recently visited sites, so all is now running smoothly.
    One thing has emerged to my possible advantage. For some time I have been
    considering switching my browser, but hesitated believing that a new system
    would automatically uninstall the original leaving me with an unknown
    quantity. I now understand that they would run in parallel, each accessible
    at the click of the mouse.
    That's the end of this story. Thanks again.
    Alistair

    Alistair Macdonald, Apr 20, 2006