    system restore, or worse, when system restore makes the matter worse (like
    my network connections being emptied among others) This could save fellow
    x64 users needless hours of wasted time.
    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005

  2. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    An excellent idea. Also add programs that seem to install normally, but
    fail in one way or another when they are actually run. I'm compiling my
    list now, and I'll add it below later. Also, maybe one of the folks who has
    decided to blog x64 could help us out with an "always on top" post about
    this issue.

    M. Murcek, Jun 16, 2005

  3. M. Murcek <> wrote:
    > An excellent idea. Also add programs that seem to install normally,
    > but fail in one way or another when they are actually run. I'm
    > compiling my list now, and I'll add it below later. Also, maybe one
    > of the folks who has decided to blog x64 could help us out with an
    > "always on top" post about this issue.

    I can do that, as soon as I get a list, I'll post it, I'm sure André will do
    the same

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  4. This is a great idea, I could help out with the blogging part. :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Truth is if this system is not ' desktop user friendly ' it will never
    attract enough users to get the hardware and software support the early
    adopters want/need.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  6. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    OK, here'smy first cut at the nightmare list (I like that name) I'll have
    more later.

    Paragon Disk Backup - Wonderful program on x32, installs correctly on x64,
    but fails with an error related to access to its db engine at runtime. Does
    not corrupt x64, can be uninstalled uneventfully.

    I read a post somewhere below in the newsgroup that DeLorme StreetAtlas USA
    Plus 2005 whacks x64 when the install is attempted. I'm using the 2004
    version (not the Plus version) with no problems, it even works with the USB
    GPS receiver (no driver needed)

    Again, I recommend looking at forums and sites now out there doing some of
    this compatibility reporting. They're unofficial, but better than a
    re-install. All the same, I think this newsgroup should lead the way on
    this, As John has already recommended. If we can help some early adopters
    make soft landings, it's all worthwhile:

    http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64hardlist.htm

    http://castlecops.com/t123426-Windows_XP_Pro_x64_compatibility.html

    M. Murcek, Jun 16, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    My first cut:
    RANorder online commodity trading program - will not install

    Slipstream browser accelerator - Installs and runs fine. Have not been able
    to run windows update with it installed, so on x86 I uninstall, run update
    and reinstall. Has a 16-bit version of unwise.exe uninstaller so will not
    uninstall.

    Virtual Drive 9.0 - Proceeds thru install until the install driver section
    where it freezes. Manual uninstall required. When I ran System Restore to
    clean the register, I found that my Network Connections file was empty on
    reboot. Some other items were also missing but I don't remember. Used
    Ghost copy to recover.

    Paperport Professional 10 - Installs partially then fails, I believe when
    the drivers are being installed. There is an uninstaller provided on their
    website for failed installs.

    Atomic Clock 8.0 - x86 it overlays system clock and provides a means of
    scheduling reminders. The most versatile I've found. Includes launching
    websites and programs on the schedule. Installs cleanly on x64, but the
    only function that works is periodic time announcements, with no way to
    access settings or set a schedule. Only announces time every 15 minutes
    which is the default.

    Easy Media Player installs but DirectCD gives error messages each time you
    login, until you disable it in MSCONFIG. I understand that it can be
    installed using custom install without DirectCD and it works fine. I am
    downloading a trial of Nero so haven't tried the reinstall. Don't know how
    the uninstall will go yet either

    AdMuncher - Removes ads and pop-ups from web pages. Does not work in x64.
    Haven't tried the uninstall yet but it can be turned off and so I've left
    it.

    One note is that when searching for a way to clear up my Browser problem, I
    found a number of programs that have 32-bit installers and 16-bit
    uninstallers in the Wise/unwise installer group. Includes such programs as
    Macromedia Shockwave if it needs to be uninstalled it will probably fail. I
    personally found a 32-bit version in another program, copied it to the
    necessary folder for the uninstall and renamed the two files. This worked
    to at least remove the proxy settings the program sets. The program folder
    still remains. I haven't done a reinstall.

    I have both Delorme Street Atlas 2005 (not the plus) and DelormeTopoUSA 5.0
    installed with no problems to date.

    Will add others later. I know other programs did not install but at least
    announced their incompatibility up front.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  8. John Barnes <> wrote:

    > AdMuncher - Removes ads and pop-ups from web pages. Does not work in
    > x64. Haven't tried the uninstall yet but it can be turned off and so
    > I've left it.

    John,

    Ad-muncher is working well on my pc. But I didn't try to install it on x64.
    What I did is to launch the soft from his directory under XP 32, where it
    was installed. And it's working fine, quite a surprise.
    If you have a dualboot, start admuncher from your x86 version

    Tell me if it's ok

    Cheers
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  9. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the heads up. Will try when I get on my x64 system next time.
    Here is the reply I received when I contacted them.

    FK> Incidentally the number of people trying to get the 64-bit
    FK> edition on the newsgroup is so great that Microsoft is 4 weeks behind
    FK> shipping and the complaints keep growing. A good word for your product
    over
    FK> there might get you alot of sales for just compiling it on the 64-bit
    FK> compiler. Shouldn't be any changes that I can think of, but I obviously
    FK> don't know your programs internals. I have appreciated your product and

    Yes but not compared to the total base of Ad Muncher users.

    Ad Muncher is coded in pure win32asm. It would be a huge undertaking
    to add support for WinXP 64 bit at this time.

    We are rewriting Ad Muncher in C for v5.0 this will allow many things
    including the ability to easily add 64 bit support.

    On 32 bit systems Ad Muncher works great. So we hope you enjoy it there
    until we can get a 64 bit version out.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  10. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the heads up. Will try when I get on my x64 system next
    > time. Here is the reply I received when I contacted them.
    >
    >> Incidentally the number of people trying to get the 64-bit
    >> edition on the newsgroup is so great that Microsoft is 4 weeks behind
    >> shipping and the complaints keep growing. A good word for your
    >> product over there might get you alot of sales for just compiling it
    >> on the 64-bit compiler. Shouldn't be any changes that I can think
    >> of, but I obviously don't know your programs internals. I have
    >> appreciated your product and responses and wish you success.

    > Yes but not compared to the total base of Ad Muncher users.
    >
    > Ad Muncher is coded in pure win32asm. It would be a huge undertaking
    > to add support for WinXP 64 bit at this time.
    >
    > We are rewriting Ad Muncher in C for v5.0 this will allow many things
    > including the ability to easily add 64 bit support.
    >
    > On 32 bit systems Ad Muncher works great. So we hope you enjoy it
    > there until we can get a 64 bit version out.

    LOL, I'm not sure they know that Ad Muncher works well on x64, I think it
    may just be a problem of installer...
    Anyway, as I was a beta tester, I'll probably be part of the new beta with
    the new version 5. I'll tell you...

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  11. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    As I previously said, it installs on x64 with no problems, but does nothing.
    No page blocking , no ad blocking. Nothing. Had to resort to IE popup
    blocker.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  12. John Barnes

    M. Murcek Guest

    And then there's well handled failure. Try to run msdos.exe from Windows
    v1.04 (honest) and you get this error message:

    The image file E:\MSDOS.exe is valid, but for a machine type other than the
    current machine.

    For those who don't know, msdos.exe was the program launcher from the
    earliest version of Windows, perhaps the most compliant Windows program of
    all time. It ran on everything up until XP SP2, and correctly reported
    volume sizes that were insane fantasy at the time the program was written.
    That x64 sees it as valid under other circumstances is amazing to me.

    M. Murcek, Jun 17, 2005
  13. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Tried last night. Seems to work okay, but it has a different feel on a
    couple of web pages, Popup and banner ads work great. Page ads ????? Thanks
    That is a program I really missed. Did not work at all when installed in
    x64.

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005
  14. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > Tried last night. Seems to work okay, but it has a different feel on
    > a couple of web pages, Popup and banner ads work great. Page ads
    > ????? Thanks That is a program I really missed. Did not work at all
    > when installed in x64.

    To be very honest with you John, as I'm a bit lazy, before installing any
    software I already had runing on XPx86, I gave it a try , just to see.
    And to my pleasure, a lot of those programs are working without the need of
    a reinstall. Flashget, Winrar, Picassa, K9... and may more.

    Have a nice week end

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 17, 2005
  15. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    How do you start it in x64. Did you edit the register to add it to the
    start keys or did you put a shortcut somewhere (startup folder) or do you
    manually start from a shortcut. If by shortcut can you edit it to start
    without the configuration starting each time. /bt Thanks and you have a
    nice weekend too. Usually the only time I use x64 but I may try your
    suggestion to see if I can run some of my work programs from the x86
    partition. Thanks again.

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005
  16. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > How do you start it in x64. Did you edit the register to add it to
    > the start keys or did you put a shortcut somewhere (startup folder)
    > or do you manually start from a shortcut. If by shortcut can you
    > edit it to start without the configuration starting each time. /bt
    > Thanks and you have a nice weekend too. Usually the only time I use
    > x64 but I may try your suggestion to see if I can run some of my work
    > programs from the x86 partition. Thanks again.

    The very simple way: shortcut on the desktop. For Ad Muncher, shortcut in
    startup folder. No need to configure it each time, here however.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 17, 2005
  17. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    The shortcut in startup folder launches the configuration panel each startup
    which I have to close. Just wanted to avoid that like when it is launched
    from the registry in x86 with the /bt option. Guess I will try to add that
    to the shortcut the next time I am in x64 Thanks.

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005
  18. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    I added a \run registry entry and it launches without the configuration
    panel, just like x86. So far it is the only program I have been able to run
    from x86 that won't work after installation on x64.

    John Barnes, Jun 18, 2005
  19. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > I added a \run registry entry and it launches without the
    > configuration panel, just like x86. So far it is the only program I
    > have been able to run from x86 that won't work after installation on
    > x64.

    Ok, so Ad Muncher is working, it's good

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 18, 2005