  1. I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
    name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.

    How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 5, 2008

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Travis Guest

    On Oct 5, 9:02 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
    > name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
    >
    > How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

    explain more please, is this a program that you wrote? your question
    is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
    have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
    program, try emailing them,

    of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
    ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
    it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
    do something wrong

    is one extra character really that bad? >_>
    Travis, Oct 6, 2008

  3. "Travis" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 5, 9:02 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
    > name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
    >
    > How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

    explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?

    <JS>
    No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
    wife's computer has the problem.

    </JS>

    your question
    is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
    have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
    program, try emailing them,

    <JS>
    Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives this
    extra character.

    </JS>

    of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
    ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
    it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
    do something wrong

    is one extra character really that bad? >_>

    <JS>
    No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
    stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my machine
    to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go to the same
    place in my wife's computer and remove the character that bothers me.

    </JS>
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 6, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 5, 9:02 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
    >> name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
    >>
    >> How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

    > explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?
    >
    > <JS>
    > No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
    > wife's computer has the problem.
    >
    > </JS>
    >

    > your question
    > is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
    > have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
    > program, try emailing them,
    >

    > <JS>
    > Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives
    > this extra character.
    >
    > </JS>
    >

    > of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
    > ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
    > it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
    > do something wrong
    >
    > is one extra character really that bad? >_>
    >

    > <JS>
    > No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
    > stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my
    > machine to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go
    > to the same place in my wife's computer and remove the character that
    > bothers me.
    >
    > </JS>

    If these were my two computers, I'd use a binary comparison utility of
    some sort, to compare the two executables. Maybe one of the executables
    is corrupted. Perhaps some previous malware attack and repair, has done
    the damage ? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the application,
    would fix it. While the title of the program could be stored in the
    registry, that would be a silly place to keep it.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 6, 2008
  5. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Travis" <> wrote in message

    >>> explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?
    >>>
    >>> <JS>
    >>> No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
    >>> wife's computer has the problem.
    >>>
    >>> </JS>
    >>>

    >>> your question
    >>> is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
    >>> have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
    >>> program, try emailing them,
    >>>

    >>> <JS>
    >>> Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives
    >>> this extra character.
    >>>
    >>> </JS>
    >>>

    >>> of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
    >>> ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
    >>> it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
    >>> do something wrong
    >>>
    >>> is one extra character really that bad? >_>
    >>>

    >>> <JS>
    >>> No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
    >>> stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my
    >>> machine to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go
    >>> to the same place in my wife's computer and remove the character that
    >>> bothers me.
    >>>
    >>> </JS>
    >>>

    >> If these were my two computers, I'd use a binary comparison utility of
    >> some sort, to compare the two executables. Maybe one of the executables
    >> is corrupted. Perhaps some previous malware attack and repair, has done
    >> the damage ? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the application,
    >> would fix it. While the title of the program could be stored in the
    >> registry, that would be a silly place to keep it.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > All kinds of crap is in the registry; it is the garbage can for M$.
    > As far as binary comparison goes, there is a DOS programnamed FC that
    > will do that ("FC" is for File Compare).

    Thanks, I think the answer is in the Registry too. I'll do a search of the
    Registry for my application's name, and remove the extra character when it
    comes up. I was hoping I would find the character in an INI file or
    something. But, it's gonna be in the Registry.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 22, 2008