Program mode PDF for Canon DSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles Schuler, Jul 5, 2005.

    1. Advertising

  1. Malcolm Stewart, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Charles Schuler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Paul J Gans, Jul 7, 2005
  3. In article <dai1r5$rem$>, Paul J Gans
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks. That's useful.

    Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    craft.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Charles Schuler

    Skip M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dai1r5$rem$>, Paul J Gans
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. That's useful.

    > Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    > craft.

    Program isn't one of the idiot modes, and seems quite useful to me. Program
    shift, custom functions, ISO all remain operative, unlike the infamous
    "green square."

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Charles Schuler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    >In article <dai1r5$rem$>, Paul J Gans
    ><> wrote:

    >> Thanks. That's useful.

    >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    >craft.

    Riiiight.

    Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

    ------ Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Jul 8, 2005
  6. In article <dakl3u$ln5$>, Paul J Gans
    <> wrote:

    > Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    > >In article <dai1r5$rem$>, Paul J Gans
    > ><> wrote:

    > >> Thanks. That's useful.

    > >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    > >craft.

    > Riiiight.
    >
    > Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

    I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
    or Manual.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Charles Schuler

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    > Paul J Gans

    >> Thanks. That's useful.

    >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    >craft.

    Set the camera to Tv, Av, or M, adjust the shutter/aperture to the
    value appropriate for depth of field and motion stop, and adjust for
    shadows and/or highlights ...

    And then put the camera away because you missed the shot.

    Me? I leave the camera in program mode so it's ready to catch that
    fleeting shot. IF there is time then I'll switch to other modes.

    Got some good July 4th photos of kids playing with fireworks. Set the
    camera to manual the whole time just to avoid having it meter off of
    the bright fireworks.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Charles Schuler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    >In article <dakl3u$ln5$>, Paul J Gans
    ><> wrote:

    >> Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    >> >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    >> >craft.

    >> Riiiight.
    >>
    >> Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

    >I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
    >or Manual.

    Perhaps my answer would allow you to expand your universe?

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Charles Schuler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Ray Fischer <> wrote:
    >Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    >> Paul J Gans

    >>> Thanks. That's useful.

    >>Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
    >>craft.

    >Set the camera to Tv, Av, or M, adjust the shutter/aperture to the
    >value appropriate for depth of field and motion stop, and adjust for
    >shadows and/or highlights ...

    >And then put the camera away because you missed the shot.

    >Me? I leave the camera in program mode so it's ready to catch that
    >fleeting shot. IF there is time then I'll switch to other modes.

    >Got some good July 4th photos of kids playing with fireworks. Set the
    >camera to manual the whole time just to avoid having it meter off of
    >the bright fireworks.

    In my case it is grandchildren with lightspeed motion
    running from light to shadows and back again.

    If my target is stationary, then I too can be creative.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Jul 12, 2005
  10. In article <dav7q2$97v$>, Paul J Gans
    <> wrote:

    > >I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
    > >or Manual.

    > Perhaps my answer would allow you to expand your universe?

    Why would I want to relinquish control to an electronic circuit?
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Charles Schuler

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:14:23 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <dav7q2$97v$>, Paul J Gans
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
    >> >or Manual.

    >> Perhaps my answer would allow you to expand your universe?

    >Why would I want to relinquish control to an electronic circuit?

    I'm sure this isn't what you mean, but you're telling us that your
    experiences define everyone elses' experiences, and therefore what
    they should do.
    Like I said, I know this isn't what you mean.
    I hope. :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 12, 2005
  12. In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    > I'm sure this isn't what you mean, but you're telling us that your
    > experiences define everyone elses' experiences, and therefore what
    > they should do.
    > Like I said, I know this isn't what you mean.
    > I hope. :)

    I've done photography for long enough that I don't want/need a chip
    making photographic decisions for me. Others can do as they please.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 13, 2005
  13. Charles Schuler

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    > Bill Funk

    >> I'm sure this isn't what you mean, but you're telling us that your
    >> experiences define everyone elses' experiences, and therefore what
    >> they should do.
    >> Like I said, I know this isn't what you mean.
    >> I hope. :)

    >I've done photography for long enough that I don't want/need a chip
    >making photographic decisions for me. Others can do as they please.

    I presume that you do not use Av, Tv, or autofocus?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jul 15, 2005
  14. In article <db8ffg$4dj$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > I presume that you do not use Av, Tv, or autofocus?

    I generally am in Tv mode and if I don't agree with the f/stop selected
    I'll change settings appropriately. I didn't think I'd like autofocus,
    but it's a lot faster than these old eyes and fingers. And the focusing
    screens in these DSLRs are too fine for focusing the old way.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 16, 2005