    use full manual.....

    When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    full manual?
    Monkee, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Monkee

    Guest

    P should be relabeled to F. Because one can f@ck around with the settings. :)

    > When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    > full manual?

    It saves the settings.
    , Jul 29, 2006

  3. Monkee

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "Monkee" <> wrote in
    > Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on
    > cameras? Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense,
    > and I normally use full manual.....

    For many users and uses it makes sense to let the camera do the decisions
    about shutter speed and aperture. This is what the P mode is for.

    > When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just
    > using full manual?

    Most people don't want to use or are not able to use the full manual.
    Even A and S are too bothersome when the camera's program can do the
    adjustment better in most cases. Thus, the photogarpher can concentrate
    on creative issues instead.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
    Matti Vuori, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Monkee

    Guest

    P (program) vs Full Auto, will vary from camera to camera, Program mode
    usually will give you some settings you can adjust. Like adding a stop
    of exposure or changing the ISO. It just gives you a little more
    creative control and then sets all the other options according to that
    manufactures program. You might use it in a backlit situation where
    you need to add more light to you subject.

    Monkee wrote:
    > Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
    > Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
    > use full manual.....
    >
    > When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    > full manual?
    , Jul 29, 2006
  5. Monkee

    Bill Guest

    Monkee wrote:

    >Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
    >Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
    >use full manual.....

    The P-mode is Programmed automatic exposure with shift control.

    It will automatically determine the shutter and aperture settings based
    on the cameras meter reading and the dozens of pre-programmed conditions
    that are in used to evaluate and compute a proper exposure, like the
    full auto mode without automatic flash.

    Once the camera has determined the exposure settings, you can then shift
    the configuration and settings to get the creative shot you wish to
    capture.

    For example, you want to take a picture of your 2 year old child at a
    picnic. You don't want to worry about aperture for depth of field and
    he/she is not moving around very much so you don't need to worry about
    shutter speed. The P mode will take care of the aperture and shutter
    settings and you can concentrate on simply getting the shot.

    But since you can shift the settings, you can add fill flash if he/she
    is backlit, or you can boost the brightness by adding a bit of exposure
    compensation if he/she is in the shadow of a tree, etc., without having
    to worry about getting all the settings just right. The camera will do
    most of the work and you can just tweak it a bit if needed.

    >When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    >full manual?

    Most of the time I use aperture or shutter speed priority modes to get
    the effect I want in a shot. I use manual when I want full creative
    control over the exposure.

    I only use P mode for fun snapshots at social functions or similar
    events where extra creativity isn't needed.
    Bill, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Monkee

    Guest

    Monkee wrote:
    > Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
    > Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
    > use full manual.....
    >
    > When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    > full manual?

    In the automatic mode, the onboard computer tries to analyse the
    content, and make its own decisions about optimum aperture/shutter
    combination.

    In one of the program modes, you are telling the computer more about
    what the subject is. The computer can then better optimize the
    situation. In other words, the automatic is a sort of AVERAGE program,
    used for scenes/subjects for which there is no program.

    The above applies to those cameras who let you select one of several
    types of scenes when you are in program mode.
    , Jul 29, 2006
  7. Monkee

    Monkee Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Monkee wrote:
    >
    >>Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
    >>Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I
    >>normally
    >>use full manual.....

    > The P-mode is Programmed automatic exposure with shift control.
    >
    > It will automatically determine the shutter and aperture settings based
    > on the cameras meter reading and the dozens of pre-programmed conditions
    > that are in used to evaluate and compute a proper exposure, like the
    > full auto mode without automatic flash.
    >
    > Once the camera has determined the exposure settings, you can then shift
    > the configuration and settings to get the creative shot you wish to
    > capture.
    >
    > For example, you want to take a picture of your 2 year old child at a
    > picnic. You don't want to worry about aperture for depth of field and
    > he/she is not moving around very much so you don't need to worry about
    > shutter speed. The P mode will take care of the aperture and shutter
    > settings and you can concentrate on simply getting the shot.
    >
    > But since you can shift the settings, you can add fill flash if he/she
    > is backlit, or you can boost the brightness by adding a bit of exposure
    > compensation if he/she is in the shadow of a tree, etc., without having
    > to worry about getting all the settings just right. The camera will do
    > most of the work and you can just tweak it a bit if needed.
    >
    >>When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    >>full manual?

    > Most of the time I use aperture or shutter speed priority modes to get
    > the effect I want in a shot. I use manual when I want full creative
    > control over the exposure.
    >
    > I only use P mode for fun snapshots at social functions or similar
    > events where extra creativity isn't needed.

    Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is pretty
    much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
    just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?
    Monkee, Jul 29, 2006
  8. Monkee

    Bill Guest

    Monkee wrote:

    >Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is pretty
    >much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
    >just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?

    Yes.
    Bill, Jul 29, 2006
  9. Monkee

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Monkee" <> wrote

    > Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is

    pretty
    > much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
    > just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?

    That's pretty much it. There are other things too, at least on some cameras.
    On my Coolpix 995 using P instead of full auto also means the autofocus does
    not run continuously, eating battery power. When you half-press the shutter,
    exposure is set and the focus motor runs briefly to lock in on the subject.
    Full press then fires the shutter.

    Personally, I've never used the full auto setting, P is far more versatile.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Jul 30, 2006
  10. Monkee

    SkipM Guest

    Another ramification of Auto mode, at least on Canon DSLRs, is that you lose
    the custom functions, so all of your settings revert to what the camera
    wants, not what you want, in terms of flash settings, metering options, etc.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    SkipM, Jul 30, 2006
  11. Monkee

    pjp Guest

    Yea, on my Fuji S602Z, auto always seems to shoot at 200ISO, where-as in P
    (and other manual modes) I can set it to 160 ISO.

    pjp, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Monkee

    Matt Ion Guest

    Monkee wrote:
    > Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
    > Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
    > use full manual.....
    >
    > When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
    > full manual?

    The main difference is, full-auto modes also take over such options as ISO,
    resolution, compression quality, and so on, and assume no exposure compensationm
    whereas "P" mode lets you set those and and adjust the compensation, and the
    camera only controls the shutter and aperture.
    Matt Ion, Aug 1, 2006