    don't offer you the choice of where to install).

    When installing 32-bit programs in XP x64 can I still do this??

    Many thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Aug 29, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes, but you will have two program files Program files (for 64-bit
    programs) and Program Files (86) for 32-bit programs

    John Barnes, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Thanks for replying so promptly John.

    So, if I understand you correctly, there will be two folders for Program
    files on the C:\ drive (where XP x64 will be installed) - but I can ignor
    these and still install programs to a different location (such as D:\ or E:\)
    ??

    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Aug 29, 2006
  4. That's correct. But _do_ keep 32-bit and 64-bit programs separate. So, for
    example, if the installation program offers you "C:\Program Files (x86)",
    you'll know it's a 32-bit program, so simply change the drive letter to D:
    and leave everything else the same. For 64-bit programs, it will offer you
    "C:\Program Files". Again, just change the drive letter but leave the rest
    of it alone. Works fine, it's how I do things on my machines.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006
  5. I think the same guy who said that floppys are dead having been replaced by
    cd's also said that we would never need a command prompt again either! :)

    --
    Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 29, 2006
  6. Well, I'd never get any work done, then.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2006