    Can I get these back?

    all help muchly appreciated.

    Martin

    Martin, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Martin

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:09:14 GMT, "Martin" <> wrote:

    >I reloaded windows 2000, (thinking I was repairing it!) and now all the
    >program launch icons don't work.
    >If I go thru "my computer" and "programs" the programs look like they're
    >still on the hard drive, but if I double click the launch icons, they don't
    >start, and I get various error messages.

    They'll have to be reinstalled. When you reinstalled Windows, you blew away the registry entries and system .dll's
    relevant to the programs.

    >Is there a quick way to reset these program launch icons without having to
    >reload all the programs?

    See above

    >Also, having relaoded outlook, I can't see my email addresses, or mesages.
    >Can I get these back?

    Maybe.
    Outlook Express messages are stored in files with the extension .dbx (inbox.dbx, sent.dbx, etc.).
    The address book will be .wab.

    Outlook messages and addresses are stored as .pst files. One .pst file will hold all messages and addresses for a given
    profile.

    Locate the files on your drive and import them into the new installation of Outlook.

    Harrison, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Martin

    philo Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > I reloaded windows 2000, (thinking I was repairing it!) and now all the
    > program launch icons don't work.
    > If I go thru "my computer" and "programs" the programs look like they're
    > still on the hard drive, but if I double click the launch icons, they don't
    > start, and I get various error messages.
    >
    > Is there a quick way to reset these program launch icons without having to
    > reload all the programs?
    > Also, having relaoded outlook, I can't see my email addresses, or mesages.
    > Can I get these back?
    >
    > all help muchly appreciated.
    >
    > Martin

    sounds like you installed windows in another folder.

    again bootup with your windows cd...
    and when you get to the part that asks which installation you want to
    repair...opt for your original installation

    usually C:\winnt

    if you see something like C:\winnit.000
    that would be your 2nd install...

    if you get things working ok