    In short does the 64bit programs have some sort of header that tells the OS
    that it is 64bit and allow it access to the 64bit benefits?
    Thanks in advance
    =?Utf-8?B?QklHRQ==?=, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Your 64-bit programs will default to "Program Files" without any additional
    work on your part, and will be seen as 64-bit programs regardless of where
    they are installed. Location has no bearing on 64-bitness.

    Without any changes to a normal 32-bit program, it will default to
    installing in Program Files (x86).
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2006

  3. BIGE wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >I understand that by default all 64bit programs are stored in the Program
    >Files directory and all 32bit apps are stored in the Program Files (x86)
    >directory. So let me give you a little background before I ask my
    >question.
    >We are a software development company. We have scripts for our software
    >that
    >are looking in the Program Files directory for our software. Must we edit
    >our scripts for the 64bit OS? The developer wants to change where the
    >64bit
    >apps are installed and install all of our apps in the Program Files
    >directory
    >like with the 32bit version of XP. However if we install all of the 64bit
    >apps in say Program Files x64 will Windows know that these applications are
    >64bit or is it programed to only look at the Program Files directory for
    >64bit applications and therefore have all of the benefits availible to that
    >software?
    >In short does the 64bit programs have some sort of header that tells the OS
    >that it is 64bit and allow it access to the 64bit benefits?

    You should not be assuming that the Program Files folder is called
    "C:\Program Files" anyway.

    There are APIs and Environment Variables that return the correct location
    of the Program Files folder. Switch to using one of the proper methods of
    getting the PF folder, and you'll have no problem - the x64 version of
    your application would be told "C:\Program Files" and the x86 version
    "C:\Program Files (x86)".

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 14, 2006