    who do not have 64 bit OS.

    thanks
    jeff

    jeff, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Jeff:
    Program files are for 64-bit programs and program files (x86) are
    for 32-bit programs.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, Apr 30, 2006

  3. jeff

    Martijn Saly Guest

    jeff wrote:
    > Hi
    > Is there any significante difference between the program files folder
    > and the program files (x64) folder other than human organizational
    > helpfulness ?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I want to install some stuff that is
    > normally in program files on other OS's into program files on my pro 64
    > OS (rather than program files (x64). Then when I use it in development,
    > it will be in the same place as it is on my fellow developers machines
    > who do not have 64 bit OS.
    >
    > thanks
    > jeff

    When a 32-bit application requests the program files folder location, it
    should be given the "program files (x86)" folder. So long as you don't
    hardcode "c:\program files" into your application, you should be fine.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, Apr 30, 2006
  4. You should not override the automatic selection of \Program Files (x86) for
    32bit programs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2006
  5. jeff

    Graham Guest

    jeff wrote:

    > The reason I ask is because I want to install some stuff that is
    > normally in program files on other OS's into program files on my pro 64
    > OS (rather than program files (x64). Then when I use it in development,
    > it will be in the same place as it is on my fellow developers machines
    > who do not have 64 bit OS.

    The correct way to decide where to look for and place programs is the
    ProgramFiles environment variable. Do this in a 32-bit program and you
    will get one answer, do it in a 64-bit program and you will get a
    different answer. This is clever scheem will fall apart if you use a
    32-bit installer for a 64-bit program, but there are also ProgramW6432
    and ProgramFiles(x86) environment variables you can use instead.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 1, 2006