    changes the whole look from what I am used to seeing.

    I find nothing in help or FAQ regarding profiles.

    Anyone?

    KDG, Jun 5, 2006

  2. KDG

    gwtc Guest

    KDG wrote:

    > Occasionally Firefox will pop up to ask if I want to use the default
    > profile or another profile (IIRC). When I click default, it won't let
    > me choose it because it is in use. If I choose the other option, it
    > changes the whole look from what I am used to seeing.
    >
    > I find nothing in help or FAQ regarding profiles.
    >
    > Anyone?

    All your settings, prefs, bookmarks, passwords, extensions, themes,
    etc, are stored in an area called your profile.

    If you closed FF, sometimes it doesn't close completely. Its still
    running in the background. So, when you restart FF, you will get a
    message saying that the default profile is in use and asks if you want
    to create a new profile. If you say yes, then you will get a new
    profile and have to start from scratch.

    So, the next time you get that message, don't click Yes. Instead,
    click Cancel. Then bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and end
    FF there. Now, restart FF and it should start up with your default
    profile.

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: they keep looking nervously
    at the TV and asking if you're planning to watch America's Most Wanted.

    gwtc, Jun 5, 2006

  3. KDG

    Riggo Guest

    Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the
    software, IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default,
    I imagine most people running FF wouldn't require different
    profiles.

    Riggo, Jun 6, 2006
  4. KDG

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Riggo wrote:
    > Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
    > IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
    > people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

    Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
    deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
    is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
    "no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
    new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
    who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
    their settings.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Jun 6, 2006
  5. KDG

    KDG Guest

    Where can one find the profile box? Is there anyway to bring it up
    without waiting for it to come up by itself? I've looked everywhere if
    FF to no avail. There must be a way to set the profiles if it offers
    you a choice, right??????????

    Thanks for the responses thus far.

    KDG, Jun 6, 2006
  6. KDG

    gwtc Guest

    KDG wrote:

    > Where can one find the profile box? Is there anyway to bring it up
    > without waiting for it to come up by itself? I've looked everywhere if
    > FF to no avail. There must be a way to set the profiles if it offers
    > you a choice, right??????????
    >
    > Thanks for the responses thus far.
    >

    > On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:42:06 -0400, Andy Luddy
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Riggo wrote:
    >>
    >>>Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
    >>>IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
    >>>people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

    >>Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
    >>deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
    >>is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
    >>"no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
    >>new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
    >>who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
    >>their settings.

    close the program and make sure its closed by looking in the task
    manager [ctrl+alt+del]. Then click on Start, Run and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the profile manager.

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: She's great with the food
    budget -- but the hamsters are missing and last night's burgers tasted

    gwtc, Jun 6, 2006
  7. KDG

    patriciaj102

    Joined: