    Can anyone tell me why Episode 4 was not included on the season 1 box set?

    Thanks.

    Ed.
    Ed, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Ed

    Bobcancel Guest

    << Hi All,

    Can anyone tell me why Episode 4 was not included on the season 1 box set?

    Thanks. >>

    Rights to the music used in that show. Apparently, the music was too integrel
    to the story to remove it from the episode and that music was either too
    expensive to buy the rights or they were denied the sale of those rights.
    Sorry. I've never seen it but I understand it was a popular one.
    Bobcancel, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Ed

    jayembee Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me why Episode 4 was not included on the season 1 box set?

    It made extensive use of the Police song "Every Breath You Take",
    albeit a cover by an unknown-to-me female singer. The music clearance
    for the song was ridiculously expensive, and would've driven up the
    cost of an already expensive set.

    And there are several sequences of said female artist on a video
    monitor singing the song, so they couldn't just substitute a different
    tune.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 17, 2003
  4. "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "Ed" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone tell me why Episode 4 was not included on the season 1 box

    set?

    > It made extensive use of the Police song "Every Breath You Take",
    > albeit a cover by an unknown-to-me female singer. The music clearance
    > for the song was ridiculously expensive, and would've driven up the
    > cost of an already expensive set.
    >
    > And there are several sequences of said female artist on a video
    > monitor singing the song, so they couldn't just substitute a different
    > tune.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Just out of curiousity, what WOULD have been the cost of the
    music clearance? Even an approximate KNOWLEDGABLE cost would suffice.

    Thanks...
    Adrian
    Adrian S. Kuiper, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Ed

    jayembee Guest

    "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote:

    >Just out of curiousity, what WOULD have been the cost of the
    >music clearance? Even an approximate KNOWLEDGABLE cost
    >would suffice.

    I've no idea. Companies rarely, if ever, divulge that sort of
    information. But it's a very prevelant issue that's holding up a *lot*
    of DVD releases, and it's been going on since home video became a big
    thing 20+ years ago.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 18, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    jayembee <> wrote:
    >"Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just out of curiousity, what WOULD have been the cost of the
    >>music clearance? Even an approximate KNOWLEDGABLE cost
    >>would suffice.

    >I've no idea. Companies rarely, if ever, divulge that sort of
    >information. But it's a very prevelant issue that's holding up a *lot*
    >of DVD releases, and it's been going on since home video became a big
    >thing 20+ years ago.

    The key there are the sync rights under the control of the Harry Fox
    Agency. If you poke around their site a little, you can find out this sort
    of information.
    --
    Do they still play the blues in Chicago when baseball season rolls around/When
    the snow melts away do the Cubbies still play in their ivy covered burial mound
    Michael Alan Chary, Nov 18, 2003