profile trick, really anoying

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Splibbilla, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Splibbilla

    Splibbilla Guest

    fortunately i backup often.

    but when i add a new profile in moz suite. an extra layr of folder gets added.
    example:
    data\prof_folder\profname\profname\

    ff does it differntly. (more rationally)
    data\prof_folder\profname\

    the problem is tat this is not clear when adding a profile. so the new ff profile gets dumped at the root of existing ff profilers!

    then when you delete the new profile (no worries. it contains no customization). the prof manageer asked whether you wnat to
    delete the profile folder. well of course.
    unfortunately it deletes the root folder (and everything in it! (the other older profiles.
    fortunately i backup often.
    fortunately i backup often.
    fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup
    often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.
    fortunately i backup often.

    or, as i like to recommend: backup often
    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    backup often

    but it's still irritating rebuilding the profiles.

    --
    Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4 DeerParkRc1 Trying: Rip, infoRSS
    1 WinXP + FF + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabmix, IEView, &?

    Splibbilla, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Splibbilla

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > fortunately i backup often.
    >
    > but when i add a new profile in moz suite. an extra layr of folder gets added.
    > example:
    > data\prof_folder\profname\profname\
    >
    > ff does it differntly. (more rationally)
    > data\prof_folder\profname\
    >
    > the problem is tat this is not clear when adding a profile. so the new ff profile gets dumped at the root of existing ff profilers!
    >
    > then when you delete the new profile (no worries. it contains no customization). the prof manageer asked whether you wnat to
    > delete the profile folder. well of course.
    > unfortunately it deletes the root folder (and everything in it! (the other older profiles.
    > fortunately i backup often.

    [snip despite heartily agreeing with your stressing backups!]

    I may not be following you. Using Windows XP. When I create a new
    profile in either Firefox or the Suite the default is to create a new
    folder with a randomly generated name. Unless you change the default
    root folder location during the creation process the only difference is:

    Suite path
    C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt

    Firefox path
    C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random].[profile name you entered]

    Deleting a profile only deletes the profile folder *unless* you changed
    the default root folder during the creation process.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Splibbilla

    Splibbilla Guest

    Ed Mullen <> in news::

    > [snip despite heartily agreeing with your stressing backups!]
    >
    > I may not be following you. Using Windows XP. When I create a new
    > profile in either Firefox or the Suite the default is to create a new
    > folder with a randomly generated name. Unless you change the default
    > root folder location during the creation process the only difference is:
    >
    > Suite path
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt
    >
    > Firefox path
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random].[profile name you entered]
    >
    > Deleting a profile only deletes the profile folder *unless* you changed
    > the default root folder during the creation process.

    yes, i have put all profiles into a locatoin more useful for backups. essentially i have substituted teh path:

    Suite path
    C:\MozProf\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt\

    Firefox path
    C:\FProf\[foldername entered]\

    also for both moz & ff, i give profile the same name as foldername

    it appears that moz creates the name for the last level of folder, while ff lets you name all folders.

    since i don't create profiles very often, it would be nice if the dialog made it obvious how many levels were being created.

    when user diligently checks, then attempts to correct this levels vagueness, the deletion of *all* profiles is just a nasty "adding
    injury to insult" trick. i think the way to fix the misleading foldernames, is to delete profile name in profile mangler, then
    manually delete "Dead" files and folders in windows.

    interestingly, when the whole profiles fodler disappears, all of the other profilenames remain in p manager. but since their
    folders have been deleted, they are also "dead". :)

    --
    i deleted list of cfg in my sig, because the list has been 'polluting' google group results with moz_extension names irrelevant to
    post. (was also 'wasteful of bandwidth')

    Splibbilla, Jun 29, 2005