    would want to).

    How can I get my profile back?

    Ray Drouillard
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Ray Drouillard

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ray Drouillard wrote:

    > When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up a
    > new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that it's
    > already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile (which
    > is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
    > accounts set up and no messages.
    >
    > When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
    > profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't really
    > notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the [Manage
    > Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename the
    > profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that I
    > would want to).
    >
    > How can I get my profile back?
    >

    > Ray Drouillard

    Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Apr 13, 2004

  3. "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Ray Drouillard wrote:
    >
    > > When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up

    > > new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that

    it's
    > > already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile

    (which
    > > is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
    > > accounts set up and no messages.
    > >
    > > When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
    > > profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't

    really
    > > notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the

    [Manage
    > > Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename

    the
    > > profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that

    > > would want to).
    > >
    > > How can I get my profile back?
    > >

    > > Ray Drouillard
    > >

    > Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?

    When you set up a profile, you get the opportunity to choose a location.
    Since my C: drive was rapidly running out of space, I decided to put it
    on my E: drive (along with the application itself). After that, I
    imported all of my saved OE mail and deleted it from OE. That cleared
    up my drivespace problems on C: :)

    Anyhow, I'm thinking of creating a new profile, then copying all of the
    files from my disabled profile over there. It's worth a shot, anyhow.
    I would really hate to lose all of that setup information and data.

    Ray Drouillard
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 14, 2004

    Ray Drouillard wrote:
    | "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    |
    |>Ray Drouillard wrote:
    |>

    |>>When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up

    |>>new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that
    |
    | it's
    |
    |>>already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile
    |
    | (which
    |
    |>>is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
    |>>accounts set up and no messages.
    |>>
    |>>When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
    |>>profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't
    |
    | really
    |
    |>>notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the
    |
    | [Manage
    |
    |>>Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename
    |
    | the
    |
    |>>profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that

    |>>would want to).
    |>>
    |>>How can I get my profile back?
    |>>

    |>>Ray Drouillard
    |>>

    |>Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?
    |

    | When you set up a profile, you get the opportunity to choose a location.
    | Since my C: drive was rapidly running out of space, I decided to put it
    | on my E: drive (along with the application itself). After that, I
    | imported all of my saved OE mail and deleted it from OE. That cleared
    | up my drivespace problems on C: :)
    |
    | Anyhow, I'm thinking of creating a new profile, then copying all of the
    | files from my disabled profile over there. It's worth a shot, anyhow.
    | I would really hate to lose all of that setup information and data.
    |

    | Ray Drouillard

    Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile directory?
    Justin Haygood, Apr 15, 2004
  5. "Justin Haygood" <> wrote in message

    > Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile

    directory?

    I didn't find one in any of the directories.

    By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything from
    the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.

    Ray
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 15, 2004
    Justin Haygood, Apr 15, 2004
  7. "Justin Haygood" <> wrote in message

    > Ray Drouillard wrote:
    > | "Justin Haygood" <> wrote in message
    > |

    > |>Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile
    > |
    > | directory?
    > |
    > | I didn't find one in any of the directories.
    > |
    > | By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything

    from
    > | the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.
    > |

    > | Ray
    > |

    > did you copy the .slt directory or the stuff in the .slt directory?

    Copy
    > the stuff in the .slt directory and not the .slt directory itself. If

    it
    > doesn't work, its most likely a corrupt profile.

    Thanks for the idea.

    I just tried it and it didn't work. I also tried importing from the
    damaged profile, but it doesn't look like Mozilla imports from Mozilla.

    I really want to retrieve my email. If I can retrieve my email account
    setup and message rules, that'll save me a ton of typing. The email
    isn't replaceable, though.

    I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from OE,
    then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What I
    need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored, and
    how I can hack it.

    Ray Drouillard
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Ray Drouillard wrote:

    > "Justin Haygood" <> wrote in message

    >>Ray Drouillard wrote:
    >>| "Justin Haygood" <> wrote in message

    >>| directory?
    >>|
    >>| I didn't find one in any of the directories.
    >>|
    >>| By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything

    > from
    >
    >>| the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.
    >>|

    >>| Ray
    >>|

    >>did you copy the .slt directory or the stuff in the .slt directory?

    > Copy
    >
    >>the stuff in the .slt directory and not the .slt directory itself. If

    > it
    >
    >>doesn't work, its most likely a corrupt profile.

    > Thanks for the idea.
    >
    > I just tried it and it didn't work. I also tried importing from the
    > damaged profile, but it doesn't look like Mozilla imports from Mozilla.
    >
    > I really want to retrieve my email. If I can retrieve my email account
    > setup and message rules, that'll save me a ton of typing. The email
    > isn't replaceable, though.
    >
    > I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from OE,
    > then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What I
    > need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored, and
    > how I can hack it.
    >

    > Ray Drouillard

    Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
    your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
    extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
    overwriting the empty ones there.

    Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
    equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
    abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
    address book.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 19, 2004
  9. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Ray Drouillard wrote:

    > > I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from

    OE,
    > > then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What

    > > need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored,

    and
    > > how I can hack it.
    > >

    > > Ray Drouillard
    > >

    > Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
    > your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
    > extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
    > overwriting the empty ones there.
    >
    > Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
    > equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
    > abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
    > address book.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks!

    It didn't work the first time -- got really confused about what mail
    went into what account.

    I ended up manually setting up my accounts (all six), then copying the
    contents of the individual email account directories. That did the
    trick. It took a while to get everything put together and tested --
    especially since I had to import the mail that came in while Mozilla was
    broken and I was forced to use OE again.

    I still have a little cleaning up to do, and I have to get my address
    list back (no biggie, that thing is in bad need of a good cleaning), but
    things seem to be working now.

    Ray
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Ray Drouillard

    Tono Guest

    Ray Drouillard wrote:
    It took a while to get everything put together and tested --
    > especially since I had to import the mail that came in while Mozilla was
    > broken and I was forced to use OE again.

    Yikes! OE!!!! Those letters are not allowed here! ;-) Seriously, in
    an emergency like that, I use my ISP's mail client and just don't delete
    anything I want to save. Then when things are back up and running, I
    check my mail with mozilla and all the saved mail comes off the ISP.

    Tono
    Tono, Apr 21, 2004
  11. "Tono" <> wrote in message
    > Ray Drouillard wrote:
    > It took a while to get everything put together and tested --
    > > especially since I had to import the mail that came in while Mozilla

    was
    > > broken and I was forced to use OE again.

    > Yikes! OE!!!! Those letters are not allowed here! ;-) Seriously, in
    > an emergency like that, I use my ISP's mail client and just don't

    delete
    > anything I want to save. Then when things are back up and running, I
    > check my mail with mozilla and all the saved mail comes off the ISP.
    >
    > Tono

    Actually, OE works quite well. The main problem I had with it is that I
    had to keep all of my mail on my c: drive. With Mozilla, I was able to
    move everything to a roomier drive. Also, when I hook my network back
    up (after we move to our new digs), I plan to put all of the profiles on
    a central server and read my mail from whatever computer is handy at the
    time. To do that with M$, I would have to use Outlook and a dedicated
    email server.

    On the other hand, in all the years I have been using OE, it has never
    lost my email. I guess you just have to weigh the advantages and
    disadvantages.

    Ray Drouillard
    Ray Drouillard, Apr 22, 2004
  12. Ray Drouillard

    Peter Hoff Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
    > your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
    > extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
    > overwriting the empty ones there.
    >
    > Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
    > equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
    > abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
    > address book.
    >
    > Lee

    I have a similar situation (built a new machine, and would like to
    transfer all my stuff over). I was able to copy over my inbox and my
    addressbook without issue, but I had some folders (Saved, Reciepts, etc)
    that seem to have only .msf files. Copying them over doesn't seem to
    work. Is there any way I can import these, or am I SOL?
    Peter Hoff, May 15, 2004
  13. Peter Hoff wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >> Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
    >> your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
    >> extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
    >> overwriting the empty ones there.
    >>
    >> Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
    >> equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
    >> abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
    >> address book.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > I have a similar situation (built a new machine, and would like to
    > transfer all my stuff over). I was able to copy over my inbox and my
    > addressbook without issue, but I had some folders (Saved, Reciepts, etc)
    > that seem to have only .msf files. Copying them over doesn't seem to
    > work. Is there any way I can import these, or am I SOL?

    If these are custom folders under the parent Inbox, they will be located
    in a folder called Inbox.sbd.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, May 15, 2004
  14. Ray Drouillard

    Peter Hoff Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Hoff wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>

    >>> Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
    >>> your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
    >>> extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
    >>> overwriting the empty ones there.
    >>>
    >>> Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such
    >>> are equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for
    >>> example, is abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will
    >>> have your old address book.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> I have a similar situation (built a new machine, and would like to
    >> transfer all my stuff over). I was able to copy over my inbox and my
    >> addressbook without issue, but I had some folders (Saved, Reciepts,
    >> etc) that seem to have only .msf files. Copying them over doesn't
    >> seem to work. Is there any way I can import these, or am I SOL?

    > If these are custom folders under the parent Inbox, they will be located
    > in a folder called Inbox.sbd.
    >
    > Lee

    Unfortunately, no. They were under the account, concurrent with Inbox.
    Peter Hoff, May 16, 2004