    I don't want to take chances screwing up my bookmarks and profile backups.
    From prior experience it's a problem I don't want to repeat.

    Any of you FF folks that can explain this and/or if you think it is a
    potential problem, I'd be glad to hear your take on this.

    Thanks.

    R. Hickey, Nov 2, 2007

  2. R. Hickey

    R. Hickey Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote in
    news:fgg5d9$53e$:

    > R. Hickey wrote:
    >> I was just doing a check on my Firefox backups. I looked in the
    >> 'application data' folder and all looked right except all the entries
    >> had the "Internet Explorer" icon instead of the FF icon in front.
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is meaningful or not. I clicked a couple of the
    >> 'bookmarks' folders and my FF bookmarks displayed so it looks right.
    >>
    >> But it used to display a FF icon in front and not IE. Is this a
    >> problem or am I worrying about nothing?
    >>
    >> I don't want to take chances screwing up my bookmarks and profile
    >> backups. From prior experience it's a problem I don't want to repeat.
    >>
    >> Any of you FF folks that can explain this and/or if you think it is a
    >> potential problem, I'd be glad to hear your take on this.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > make FF the default program: Tools, Options, Main, and down
    > below is what you need. You may have to reboot.

    This is too weird. I have always kept FF as the default. But I went and
    checked anyway to be sure nothing had changed it.

    The box *was* checked already (as I would have assumed...). When I went
    back and checked the profiles, the FF icon was in place and not the IE
    icon.

    Curiouer and curiouser. But thanks for the info.

    R. Hickey, Nov 2, 2007

  3. R. Hickey wrote:
    > I was just doing a check on my Firefox backups. I looked in the
    > 'application data' folder and all looked right except all the entries had
    > the "Internet Explorer" icon instead of the FF icon in front.
    >
    > I don't know if this is meaningful or not. I clicked a couple of the
    > 'bookmarks' folders and my FF bookmarks displayed so it looks right.
    >
    > But it used to display a FF icon in front and not IE. Is this a problem or
    > am I worrying about nothing?
    >
    > I don't want to take chances screwing up my bookmarks and profile backups.
    > From prior experience it's a problem I don't want to repeat.
    >
    > Any of you FF folks that can explain this and/or if you think it is a
    > potential problem, I'd be glad to hear your take on this.
    >
    > Thanks.

    make FF the default program: Tools, Options, Main, and down
    below is what you need. You may have to reboot.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 2, 2007
  4. R. Hickey wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote in
    >
    >> R. Hickey wrote:
    >>> I was just doing a check on my Firefox backups. I looked in the
    >>> 'application data' folder and all looked right except all the entries
    >>> had the "Internet Explorer" icon instead of the FF icon in front.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if this is meaningful or not. I clicked a couple of the
    >>> 'bookmarks' folders and my FF bookmarks displayed so it looks right.
    >>>
    >>> But it used to display a FF icon in front and not IE. Is this a
    >>> problem or am I worrying about nothing?
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to take chances screwing up my bookmarks and profile
    >>> backups. From prior experience it's a problem I don't want to repeat.
    >>>
    >>> Any of you FF folks that can explain this and/or if you think it is a
    >>> potential problem, I'd be glad to hear your take on this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> make FF the default program: Tools, Options, Main, and down
    >> below is what you need. You may have to reboot.

    > This is too weird. I have always kept FF as the default. But I went and
    > checked anyway to be sure nothing had changed it.
    >
    > The box *was* checked already (as I would have assumed...). When I went
    > back and checked the profiles, the FF icon was in place and not the IE
    > icon.
    >
    > Curiouer and curiouser. But thanks for the info.

    its just one of those quirky windows thing, I guess.
    Sometimes if you make IE the default [from IE: tools,
    internet options, programs tab and down at the bottom], then
    make FF the default might also work.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 2, 2007