    your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
    professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ritchie Sobell, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Ritchie Sobell

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Ritchie Sobell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
    > DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
    > unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
    > print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
    > look impressive at all - both sharpness and brightness. Printed
    > pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
    > digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
    > sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
    > supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
    > professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
    > your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
    > professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Ritchie,

    Why spend $1500 for a high end printer when you can get extremely good
    professional results from the right color lab. Of course you will have to
    conform to their way of doing business, which isn't that big of a deal.
    Turn around time is two days. Check out the following link:

    www.whcc.com

    It was recommended to me about three months ago, and they are excellent.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Ritchie Sobell

    Ross Guest

    When talking about printing you're not only talking printer but inks as
    well.

    For mine, I'd go for the Canon printers every time with Canon inks.

    Ross

    Ross, Oct 18, 2004
  4. HUH? My scanner can store images as TIFFs and my printer has no
    problem with those. You can't compare what you see on a screen with
    what you see printed. Try taking your images elsewhere to have them
    printed and compare them with what you got at SAMS; maybe SAMS printer
    is just not adjusted correctly.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Ritchie Sobell

    Drifter Guest

    On 17 Oct 2004 14:39:19 -0700, (Ritchie Sobell)
    wrote:

    >I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
    >DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
    >unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
    >print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
    >look impressive at all – both sharpness and brightness. Printed
    >pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
    >digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
    >sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
    >supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
    >professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
    >your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
    >professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Sounds like the SAMS printer isn't calibrated correctly. The first
    thing I would do is try running off a set of prints somewhere else.
    If they come out acceptably then go back to SAMS and let them know
    (bring the "nicer" prints to show them). I have a local drugstore
    with a Kodak booth that does great prints most of the time, but gets a
    bit off kilter once in a while until a customer mentions it to the
    manager.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Ritchie Sobell

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i use sams club and i get excellent results .
    i edit the pics with C.S. then burn them to disk sized the print size i want,
    4x6,5x7, 8x10 etc .

    ive been shooting(canon 10d 70-200 2.8l is ) night time high school football @
    1600 iso and the prints look great .

    ive also printed out some shots taken with strobes and there were exactly as
    they looked on my screen after editing .

    a few the faces looked washed as i had bumbed my aperature dial not knowingly
    and wanted to see how they printed , the right exposures were excellent the
    washed out ones looked just that.
    i guess for now were both on the same calibration ,hope it stays that way .

    are you using a editing program to edit the prints before having them done
    there ?.
    gene

    REED BOXIN, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Ritchie Sobell

    gsum Guest

    Because it is far cheaper, much more satisfying and you'll get much
    better results if you do it yourself.

    Get an Epson 7600 - bargain of the century. The 7600 produces
    huge prints (assuming you have the camera to match) that are
    light fast for many years.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Ritchie Sobell

    David Azose Guest

    Hi Ritchie,

    I not familiar with the Sony camera you have so my comments will be
    general. For the best quality prints, you should set your camera so that
    it takes the highest (finest) resolution pictures with the least amount
    of compression. You wont get as many pictures on you memory card, but
    each picture should be better.

    You didn't say what size photos Sams Club was printing for you. Most
    point and shoot cameras can make decent 4x5 inch photos. If you really
    want to print your own on an inkjet printer, you certainly don't have to
    spend anywhere near $1500. The Epson R800 is one of the best photo
    quality printers around, used by many professional photographers for
    making 8.5x11 and smaller prints. It cost $400. The ink and paper will
    end up costing more than that, though, once you get started.

    David A.

    David Azose, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Ritchie Sobell

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ritchie Sobell wrote:
    > I'm somewhat new to digital photography and I shoot with a SONY
    > DSC-F828 in JPEG mode (using external flash) and the photos look
    > unbelievably perfect on a Windows PC (Dell Latitude Laptop). When I
    > print the same photos at SAMS CLUB photo lab, picture quality does not
    > look impressive at all – both sharpness and brightness. Printed
    > pictures look dull. If I want professional quality prints with my
    > digital photos what are my options? I know TIFF could improve
    > sharpness and picture quality but I don't know of any printer that
    > supports TIFF formats. If I were to buy a printer to print
    > professional quality photos what would you guys recommend based on
    > your experience? I'm willing to spend about $1500 for a high-end
    > professional quality printer. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    A monitor is a low resolution device compared to a printer.
    Things that look sharp on a monitor may not look so hot on a printer.
    Did you send Sams a full 8 MP image in high quality .jpeg?
    What size print did you order?
    An 8 MP image should produce a tack sharp 8 x 10 print
    Forget about saving it in Tiff. You will never see the difference
    between a tiff and a highest quality .jpeg.
    Also you don't need to spend anywhere near $1500 for a good inkjet
    printer. Unless you want humongous prints, you can't do better than an
    Epson R800 or a Canon i960 or the larger format i9900.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Ritchie Sobell

    Mick Brown Guest

    $1500 US dollars is a fair bit of money for a printer, do you need something
    that expensive, probably not, unless you want to print larger than A4 (or
    whatever the equiv is there). If you need to go bigger look at the Epson
    2100 it prints up to A3 and has exceptional quality. If A4 is good enough
    then the R800 is the go.

    No offence to any users of other brands, but from my experience when it
    comes to professional inkjets, you can't go past Epson (at the moment). And
    before I get flamed, yes I have owned and heavily used other brands.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Ritchie Sobell

    Jim A Guest

    Michael Brown is spot-on. The Epson 2100 or 2200 in the USA is the BEST on
    the market for up to A3 size images. I have had one for 18 months and use it
    extensively with Epson inks and it gives excellent results.

    Your images should be .tiff (preferably 48 bit) files to start with and edit
    them in Photoshop CS before sending them to your printer.

    Jim A, Oct 18, 2004
  12. When you say the printer does or doesn't support a TIFF file, I assume
    you mean if you are printing directly to the printer, rather than
    through your computer. If you are printing through the computer, it
    doesn't matter what format the file is, as long as your photo editing
    application can read the file.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Oct 18, 2004
  13. Thanks a bunch for all your feedback...

    I shoot in 8MP, high qulaity jpeg, and use Adobe PhotoShop Element to
    edit the photos and resize them to both 5x7 and 8x10 sizes then save
    them as high quality jpeg (all using Adobe PhotoShop Element) and take
    them for prining. Will directly taking the original 8MP jpeg have any
    impact on the outcome (compared to the edited and resized ones)?

    Again, Thanks for all your feedback.

    Ritchie Sobell, Oct 18, 2004
  14. Ritchie Sobell

    Bob Williams Guest

    You seem to be doing everything right :)
    When (if) you resample your images, be sure you use bicubic
    interpolation and keep at least 300 ppi resolution.
    Unless you are doing something wrong in Elements, it really shouldn't
    make much difference whether you resize the image or the printer does it
    for you.
    Suggestions:
    Put your camera on a sturdy tripod and use the self timer to trip the
    shutter.
    Shoot a very colorful and detailed subject (e.g. a vase of flowers).
    Shoot at 3264 x 2448 pixels and Fine .jpeg compression.
    Look at the image in Elements at 100% size. Maybe even 200%.
    It will be huge on your monitor. Examine detail critically.
    If it is very sharp, crop to 8x10 @ 300 dpi resolution.
    Send the file to Sams and to several online processors.
    Some sites popular with members of this NG are: EZprints.com,
    xpPhoto.com and WalMart.com
    The experiment will cost a few $$ but you will learn a lot.
    If none of the prints are tack sharp, you may have a faulty camera.
    If one online printer is superior to the others, then yo know who to go
    to next time. You may find that for big enlargements (8x10 or larger)
    you COULD come out ahead, money wise, by letting an online printer do
    the work for you. You will still want a nice inkjet printer at home for
    those pictures you want right away. Besides it's a lot of fun making
    your own prints. Good Luck on this project.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 18, 2004