    be also other possibilities? The system should be easy/straightforward
    to learn and use, and preferably not too expensive.

    -Antti
    Antti Heiskanen, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Antti Heiskanen

    Brad Guest

    In article <>,
    said...
    > What is the best way to get 100.000 slides into searchable online
    > archive?
    >
    > The typical story: a professional photographer has been shooting
    > slides for the past 15 years. Selling photos has always involved
    > either visiting potential customers personally or sending original
    > slides/duplicates to customer. Nowadays practically all shooting is
    > digital, but the photo archive still has almost 100.000 slides. In
    > order to boost sales, there is a need to get most of the the slides
    > and new digital material into a searchable online archive. To do this
    > we need a good software solution.
    >
    > What kind of software solutions are available for making an image
    > archive that also has the possibility to let potential customers to
    > make online searches by keywords? I know e.g. Canto Cumulus and
    > FotoStation Pro offer functionality for such tasks, but there ought to
    > be also other possibilities? The system should be easy/straightforward
    > to learn and use, and preferably not too expensive.

    First of all you need to get the slides into digital format which is
    probably going to cost you in the neighborhood of $50,000 for that kind of
    quantity.
    Brad, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Brad <> wrote in message news:<MPG.19e4869dcb30446b98b76f@news>...
    > In article <>,
    > said...
    > > What is the best way to get 100.000 slides into searchable online
    > > archive?

    > First of all you need to get the slides into digital format which is
    > probably going to cost you in the neighborhood of $50,000 for that kind of
    > quantity.

    I actually started a new thread on that subject so we should continue
    scanning discussion there. Naturally we understand that there is a
    huge amount of work waiting to be done in scanning/digitizing the
    slides. You can find the article "How to scan/digitize 100.000
    photos?" by message id
    <> or by following this
    link:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=#link1