  1. Somehow during the move, my xp professional disk got separated from the
    key.....how can I recover this information? I am wanting to do a new install
    on this computer to restore damage done.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=, Jan 5, 2007

  2. If the machine is still running it can be retrieved with a program called
    Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    or one called SIW http://www.gtopala.com/siw_download.html.
    The product key is not stored anywhere on the cd. XP cd's are not unique.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Stephanie wrote:
    > Somehow during the move, my xp professional disk got separated from the
    > key.....how can I recover this information? I am wanting to do a new install
    > on this computer to restore damage done.

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: