    If I have my 98 install disk but can't find my book with the product key can
    I find the key within the registry?

    Thanks
    striker, Dec 20, 2003

  2. striker

    Budweiser Guest

    learn to use google

    here is a starter

    http://www.serials.ws/all/?l=w&pn=4

    Budweiser, Dec 20, 2003

  3. striker

    Brian H¹© Guest

    striker said:

    > If I have my 98 install disk but can't find my book with the product key can
    > I find the key within the registry?
    >
    > Thanks

    Install Belarc advisor, it will list all serial numbers on your system

    Brian H¹©, Dec 20, 2003
  4. striker wrote:
    > If I have my 98 install disk but can't find my book with the product key can
    > I find the key within the registry?
    >
    > Thanks

    You can run regedit and search for productkey.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 20, 2003
  5. striker

    Patrick Guest

    striker wrote:
    > If I have my 98 install disk but can't find my book with the product
    > key can I find the key within the registry?
    >
    > Thanks

    Have a look here;
    http://www.swfpcug.org/faq/windows_98.htm#key

    It says;
    How can I find my Windows 98 product key if I do not have the case anymore?
    Because you were asked for the Key when you first installed Windows, it's
    saved in the registry. This means that you can locate it before removing
    Windows from your system. Even if you are unable to start Windows, as long
    as you can get to the command line,( a C:\ prompt) you can run this on the
    System. dat file that's part of the registry. For Windows 98 installations,
    type:
    FIND.EXE/I "ProductKey" %winbootdir%\SYSTEM.DAT
    The first line of the values returned should show the product key in a form
    similar to:
    ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????.
    Patrick, Dec 21, 2003
  6. striker

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:18:04 GMT, "striker" <> wrote:

    >If I have my 98 install disk but can't find my book with the product key can
    >I find the key within the registry?
    >
    >Thanks

    Windows 98 CD-ROM Key Location:

    Open the Registry Editor (Run "RegEdit")
    Navigate your way to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

    "ProductId" is the number you see when you right click on "my Computer" and
    select properties.

    "ProductKey" is the actual install key that came with the CD.
    Unk, Dec 21, 2003
  7. striker

    striker Guest

    Thanks I will try it, it's actually on a friends computer.

    striker, Dec 21, 2003
  8. striker

    Patrick Guest

    striker wrote:
    > Thanks I will try it, it's actually on a friends computer.

    The post by "Brian H¹©" is well worth the consideration and is free.

    Patrick, Dec 21, 2003
  9. striker

    FlewkChuy

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    I'm aware that this probably constitutes as a gravedig, but the problem is the exact same as I'm having, so there's no sense in creating a new topic.

    I'm reinstalling Windows98, and none of the "Universal Keys" work, apparently because it's already saved to the registry. The problem I have now, is I cannot get to the C: prompt. my C:\ is completely formatted, the only thing I CAN get is an A:\ command prompt, but the floppy disk doesn't have FIND.EXE on it. Solutions? Much appreciated, thanks in advance
    FlewkChuy, Dec 21, 2008