Product Key for 64-bit vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by swmmrpro, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. swmmrpro

    swmmrpro Guest

    swmmrpro, Jun 6, 2008

  2. If you buy a _retail_ copy of Vista, then the PID is the same for 64-bit and
    32-bit, so even if it's a version that's only got a 32-bit DVD in it, it's
    still a valid key. However, that being said, you need to ensure that the DVD
    for 64-bit is the _same type_ as your Retail copy. That is, retail, upgrade
    or Full, and note OEM or VL or Demo or some other form of Vista that won't
    use the same product keys.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2008

  3. There is no Vista upgrade media, Charlie. All retail 64bit dvds are
    identical and all retail 32bit dvds are identical. The product key is what
    determines whether it is upgrade or standard.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2008
  4. swmmrpro

    Mark H Guest

    I just bought a laptop, but don't like how the installation OS is retained
    as a separate partition. (No DVD provided.) Failure of the drive means a
    loss of all. It is OEM and contains lots of garbage programs, trialware,
    etc. I'd like to wipe the drive and reinstall Vista using an installation
    DVD I have, but using the OEM product key that came with the laptop.

    Is it going to work?

    Mark H, Jun 6, 2008
  5. no.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jun 6, 2008
  6. Right. Thanks for the reminder.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jun 6, 2008
  7. swmmrpro

    Mark H Guest

    Ah, what the heck... tried it anyway...
    If it didn't work, I'd go by yet another retail version. But, why pay for
    another if the one I bought already will work. It is being installed on the
    machine it was licensed for in the first place.

    I did a clean install of Vista from retail DVD and used the HP OEM product
    key.

    I couldn't activate online. (It fails and then gives you a box to click on
    to do it by phone.)
    This gave the number for the automated system and displayed a really long
    sequence of #s which you input to the automated system.

    The automated system tells you it can't validate and connects you to a
    represenative.

    The represenative asks you for the 1st six digits on the screen. I told him
    what I'd done (used a retail DVD to do a clean re-install and using the OEM
    product key). He asked me for the brand and model of the notebook which I
    gave him, and after a short pause where I learned he was in India, he gave
    me the 48-digit sequence of numbers to enter on the computer and click NEXT,
    and Vista then activated as an HP computer.

    No more bloatware. And, the license is tied to the original hardware it was
    assigned by the manufacturer.
    Now, we'll see if it still works in a month.

    "Charlie Russel-MVP" <> wrote in message
    > no.
    >

    > "Mark H" <> wrote in message
    > >I just bought a laptop, but don't like how the installation OS is

    retained
    > > as a separate partition. (No DVD provided.) Failure of the drive means a
    > > loss of all. It is OEM and contains lots of garbage programs, trialware,
    > > etc. I'd like to wipe the drive and reinstall Vista using an

    installation
    > > DVD I have, but using the OEM product key that came with the laptop.
    > >
    > > Is it going to work?
    > >

    > > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > >> There is no Vista upgrade media, Charlie. All retail 64bit dvds are
    > >> identical and all retail 32bit dvds are identical. The product key is

    > > what
    > >> determines whether it is upgrade or standard.
    > >>
    > >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Mark H, Jun 6, 2008
  8. Double check your manual. I believe that there is a utility there that
    generates a recovery dvd for you. In addition to that I paid the 20$ for
    the recovery media kit and most likely you can still order that after the
    fact as well.

    As Charlie points out, OEM product keys only work with the preinstalled copy
    of Vista. They don't even work on different versions of the same software,
    i.e. x86 vs x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2008
  9. swmmrpro

    Mark Guest

    The recovery disks contain all the same bloatware I was trying to get rid
    of.
    Anyway, it worked just fine.

    Mark, Jun 6, 2008
  10. Interesting. That's a lot more flexible than they have to be, as I read the
    EULA.

    Also, btw, on at least some models from HP (business class rather than
    consumer class, generally) you can now order them with clean installs.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2008
  11. There are two disks. It is the second that has drivers and the "bloatware".
    You are presented with the options to not install any or all of it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2008
  12. swmmrpro

    Mark Guest

    Good to know. Thanks.

    Mark, Jun 6, 2008
  13. swmmrpro

    Dave Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > If you buy a _retail_ copy of Vista, then the PID is the same for 64-bit and
    > 32-bit, so even if it's a version that's only got a 32-bit DVD in it, it's
    > still a valid key. However, that being said, you need to ensure that the DVD
    > for 64-bit is the _same type_ as your Retail copy. That is, retail, upgrade
    > or Full, and note OEM or VL or Demo or some other form of Vista that won't
    > use the same product keys.

    Does MS sell a retail version of Vista with both the 32-bit and 64-bit
    versions on the DVD? Or both in one package?

    Dave, Jul 6, 2008
  14. There are full Retail packages with both 32 & 64 bit dvd, 2
    each, in one package. Both full new license and upgrade
    versions. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install -
    there is no upgrade path.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 6, 2008
  15. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> If you buy a _retail_ copy of Vista, then the PID is the same for 64-bit
    >> and
    >> 32-bit, so even if it's a version that's only got a 32-bit DVD in it,
    >> it's
    >> still a valid key. However, that being said, you need to ensure that the
    >> DVD
    >> for 64-bit is the _same type_ as your Retail copy. That is, retail,
    >> upgrade
    >> or Full, and note OEM or VL or Demo or some other form of Vista that
    >> won't
    >> use the same product keys.

    > Does MS sell a retail version of Vista with both the 32-bit and 64-bit
    > versions on the DVD? Or both in one package?

    All retail editions of Vista, both upgrade and standard, provide both the
    x86 and x64 dvds, but not necessarily in the box.
    Vista Ultimate includes both in the retail box.
    Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, and Vista Business only include the
    x86 dvd in the box but have instructions on how to obtain the x64 dvd from
    the Alternate Media website for shipping an handling ($10). My experience
    is that it takes about a week in the mail. The Alternate Media site is at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008