    It is win 95!
    lasse

    ---

    Lars Borch, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Lars Borch

    Thor Guest

    Win95's product key can be found by simply looking at the system properties.
    Go to the control panel, then click on "system". On the first page the
    product key should be listed there. In later versions of windows, the number
    displayed there could not be used for reinstalling, but in Win95 it should
    be the product key you enter for installation.

    "Lars Borch" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to re create the product Key number of an old

    computer?

    Thor, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Lars Borch

    George Guest

    Thor (or anyone),

    Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
    product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

    TIA

    George, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Lars Borch

    V W Wall Guest

    George wrote:

    > Thor (or anyone),

    It's 1 AM in Thorland...

    > Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
    > product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

    In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
    used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the product
    key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Lars Borch

    Thor Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > Thor (or anyone),
    >
    > Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
    > product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

    Yes, I believe so. There are also many handly little applications, and
    scripts that can extract the key and display it. Check downloads.com .

    Thor, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Lars Borch

    Steve Guest

    "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > George wrote:
    > >

    > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
    > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

    product
    > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
    >
    > Virg Wall

    Virgil,

    The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

    Steve, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Lars Borch

    V W Wall Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > > George wrote:
    > > >

    > > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
    > > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

    > product
    > > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
    > >
    > > Virg Wall

    > Virgil,
    >
    > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

    Microsoft obviously didn't assign a particular key to each CD, stamped
    out by the thousends. There are a number that will work, but using the
    one on the CD used to generate it will surely work.

    I've known people that "lost" the key for the CD they have, and have had
    to try sevral of the keys floating around on the Web, before finding
    one that worked. Trying it oneself would involve attempting many
    installations to see which worked. I'll leave that up to you! ;-)

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Lars Borch

    Thor Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > > George wrote:
    > > >

    > > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
    > > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

    > product
    > > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
    > >
    > > Virg Wall

    > Virgil,
    >
    > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

    Microsoft certainly does have CDs that will only accept a certain type or
    range of keys for the given product type. For example, OEM discs, while
    having the same 25 digit product key format might not accept a key from a
    retail disc, and vise-versa. I have two Win98 discs that the keys are not
    interchangeable.

    Thor, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Lars Borch

    George Guest

    MS has a few different types of keys. If you have a retail product CD, you
    must use a retail product key. If you have an OEM product CD, you must use
    an OEM product key. There may be other types, but these were the types
    explained to me by Microsoft when I bought the Win98 updater CD (Win98FE to
    Win98SE) and found it didn't work for my PC. In my situation, I had a
    retail key from Win98FE (you use your old key with the updater) and the
    retailer sold me an OEM version updater.

    George, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Lars Borch

    Steve Guest

    > > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

    > Microsoft certainly does have CDs that will only accept a certain type or
    > range of keys for the given product type. For example, OEM discs, while
    > having the same 25 digit product key format might not accept a key from a
    > retail disc, and vise-versa. I have two Win98 discs that the keys are not
    > interchangeable.

    Yes I should have stated that OEM key will work with ALL OEM discs and a
    retail key works with ALL retail disc.

    ---

    Steve, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Lars Borch

    Plato Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Virgil,
    >
    > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

    There are 3 sets of keys. In other words, if you grab one from the net
    your chances are 1 in 3 that it will work. Of couse, any one from the
    "correct set" will work on a fresh install.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 8, 2004
  12. Lars Borch

    Plato Guest

    George wrote:

    > Thor (or anyone),
    >
    > Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
    > product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

    That's actually the one you want to write down first before you do an
    overlay install as often during an overlay install MS will ask for the
    key.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Lars Borch

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
    > > product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

    > Yes, I believe so. There are also many handly little applications, and
    > scripts that can extract the key and display it. Check downloads.com .

    My favourite

    regedit | search | ProductKey

    Plato, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Lars Borch

    Lars Borch Guest

    Thank you for all the respons, but my real problem is that I have already
    used my recovery cd which means that I need the product Key badly. I cannot
    do anything without it. Therefore none of your very good answers work.
    So, where is my Key number?
    "Lars Borch" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Does anyone know how to re create the product Key number of an old

    computer?
    > It is legal as I have just thrown the original one away.
    > It is win 95!
    > lasse
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Lars Borch, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Lars Borch

    Plato Guest

    Lars Borch wrote:

    > So, where is my Key number?

    Where ever you left it last. We're not your personal maids here. Look
    under your bed or inside your desk for starters.

    Plato, Jan 8, 2004
  16. Lars Borch

    Wizard Guest

    If it is windows 95, Build 950, (the original) then try this one:
    16695-0em-0001749-94322

    Wizard, Jan 10, 2004
  17. Lars Borch

    Bill Nathan Guest

    Its OEM! Not 0EM. And trading product keys is illegal.

    Bill Nathan, Jan 10, 2004