    Any prefered system combinations?
    Thanks in advance
    Simon
    dacman, Dec 28, 2005

  2. dacman

    Robert Baer Guest

    dacman wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am looking to upgrade components in my computer, as it seems sluggish when
    > i ask it to do multiple tasks.
    > I am currently running the following.
    > Athlon 2800XP +, 768mb ram PC3200, and i cannot remember the motherboard
    > something like Eliteboard K7
    > I dont really know much about computer systems so am looking for some
    > advise.
    > Is changing the motherboard and processor going to make a difference? Have
    > been looking at the Athlon 64's but i dont understand the performance
    > differences, for example how much better/faster is the athlon 64 3000
    > compared to mine and is it worth buying?
    > Sorry to waffle i just dont want to waste a load for hard earned.
    > Any prefered system combinations?
    > Thanks in advance
    > Simon

    Sounds like you have sufficent RAM.
    Check the running processes - anything with a rather wierd name is
    worth checking to see if it is valid; ranDUMB character names are bogus.
    I think one or more malware programs are eating up the resources.
    Robert Baer, Dec 29, 2005

  3. dacman

    Joe Guest

    I hope you get more replies to this as I am in almost your exact same shoes
    and have been pondering the same question.

    My system
    Athlon XP 2800
    1 Gig of DDR 400 (PC3200) ram
    NvidiaNF2 MB
    2 WD Raptor HD's Raid 0

    My conclusion after much research is that an upgrade now is not worth it but
    this is totally relevant to what money means to you and how bad you need
    things to go faster.
    I can to the conclusion and this is not based on experience but research,
    that to get a noticeable upgrade I would have to go to at least an
    Athlon 64 X2 3800 or Athlon 64 4000 both requiring a new motherboard and
    video card. This upgrade would cost $500 - $600.

    To me $500 -$600 is not pocket change. I will wait out a few more price
    drops as my need for speed just isn't that bad.

    Joe

    Joe, Dec 30, 2005
  4. dacman

    dacman Guest

    Thanks for the reply Joe.
    If i have to go to that extreme to see a performance increase then i just
    wont bother. I will do the same as you and save my cash untill its worth
    doing.
    Although i may get more memory, it cannot hurt i suppose.

    simon
    dacman, Dec 30, 2005
  5. dacman

    Erick Pratt Guest

    Both of you could benefit from a CPU/motherboard upgrade, but keep in mind
    that you may also be looking at new RAM and most definitely a Windows repair
    install/reactivation.

    If you like the AMD procs and do msotly gaming, stick with a single-core
    CPU. For applications such as Excel, Access, etc, a dual-core would help
    you.

    Intel's choices also include dual and single-core, but are currently running
    hotter than AMD. Just keep in mind that your case may not be sufficient
    without additional cooling (extra fans, air duct on the side panel, etc).
    This is true for both AMD and Intel.

    Whichever way you go, make sure you have a sufficient heatsink/fan. To be
    safe, make sure you get a retial CPU, not a bulk or OEM one; this ensures
    you get a cooling unit compatible with the CPU.

    The CPU socket is another point to pay attention to, as both companies have
    recently made the move to totally different setups. AMD is currently pushing
    Socket 939, while Intel has Socket-T (also called LGA 775). Some Intel
    boards also use DDR2 RAM instead of DDR; they are not interchangable. AMD
    still uses DDR intil their next socket setup is released.

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006
  6. dacman

    Joe Guest

    Erick you are correct but I stand buy my statement. At this point an upgrade
    is unworthy to me. The last upgrade I did was when I went from my old XP
    2100 on an ESC K7S5A with 256 megs of ram to my current XP 2800 on an ASUS
    A7N8X with a gig of ram. Now I will not say I did not see a difference as I
    did but it was not substantial to me and this upgrade cost me about $600 at
    the time
    I decided then for the next upgrade I do I want to double everything or
    half it how ever you want to say it. If something was taking me 3 minutes I
    want it to go to taking 1.5 minutes. I figured to achieve that would take
    about an X2 3800 to achieve. I just do not need the speed bad enough to
    spend the $5-600 to achieve my goal but I go back to this all being relevant
    to what money means to you. On my budget the upgrade is not worth it. If I
    had Bill Gates money I would spend $2000 to increase my speed 5% just
    because I could.
    Joe

    Joe, Jan 3, 2006