    processor, 512MB DIMMS/SDRAM. Today I tried to boot up the computer and it
    said that I may have a problem with cpu. Last used was Friday.

    Should I upgrade cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu?

    Dim, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Dim

    ICee Guest

    Dim wrote:
    > Need so advice here.
    >
    > I have an Aopen AK73 Pro(A) systemboard, running AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    > Socket A processor, 512MB DIMMS/SDRAM. Today I tried to boot up the
    > computer and it said that I may have a problem with cpu. Last used
    > was Friday.
    >
    > Should I upgrade cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu?

    The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?

    ICee, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Dim

    billybronco Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    > that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?

    It shouts out "Ouch you bastard that hurt!" of course.

    billybronco, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Dim

    Dim Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Dim wrote:
    > > Need so advice here.
    > >
    > > I have an Aopen AK73 Pro(A) systemboard, running AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    > > Socket A processor, 512MB DIMMS/SDRAM. Today I tried to boot up the
    > > computer and it said that I may have a problem with cpu. Last used
    > > was Friday.
    > >
    > > Should I upgrade cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu?

    > The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    > that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?

    Yes, this motherboard has a Dr. Voice, one of the great feature of the AK73
    MB. It tells you if it encounters HW problems.

    When I boot up, the Dr.Voice says something in the line of "you may have a
    problem with your cpu", no display, power light on and the HDD light is on.
    Nothing else. Just the Dr.Voice repeating .

    Dim, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Dim

    ICee Guest

    billybronco wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    >> that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?
    >>

    > It shouts out "Ouch you bastard that hurt!" of course.

    LOL

    ICee, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Dim

    ICee Guest

    Dim wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Dim wrote:
    >>> Need so advice here.
    >>>
    >>> I have an Aopen AK73 Pro(A) systemboard, running AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    >>> Socket A processor, 512MB DIMMS/SDRAM. Today I tried to boot up the
    >>> computer and it said that I may have a problem with cpu. Last used
    >>> was Friday.
    >>>
    >>> Should I upgrade cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu?

    >> The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    >> that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?
    >>

    > Yes, this motherboard has a Dr. Voice, one of the great feature of
    > the AK73 MB. It tells you if it encounters HW problems.
    >
    > When I boot up, the Dr.Voice says something in the line of "you may
    > have a problem with your cpu", no display, power light on and the HDD
    > light is on. Nothing else. Just the Dr.Voice repeating .

    Talk about a gimmick. Does the CPU heatsink fan come on? What is the
    *exact* message?

    ICee, Jun 21, 2004
  7. "Dim" <> wrote in message

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > > Dim wrote:
    > > > Need so advice here.
    > > >
    > > > I have an Aopen AK73 Pro(A) systemboard, running AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    > > > Socket A processor, 512MB DIMMS/SDRAM. Today I tried to boot up the
    > > > computer and it said that I may have a problem with cpu. Last used
    > > > was Friday.
    > > >
    > > > Should I upgrade cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu?

    > > The computer *said* it may have a problem with the CPU; you have one
    > > that talks? What happens exactly when you boot the system?
    > >

    > Yes, this motherboard has a Dr. Voice, one of the great feature of the

    AK73
    > MB. It tells you if it encounters HW problems.
    >
    > When I boot up, the Dr.Voice says something in the line of "you may have a
    > problem with your cpu", no display, power light on and the HDD light is

    on.
    > Nothing else. Just the Dr.Voice repeating .

    I would not rely on "Dr. Voice" for troubleshooting a hardware problem. You
    could have a power supply problem. A capacitor may have failed. The problem
    could be with the motherboard or socket. The heatsink fan may have failed.
    The system hardware clock may not be ticking. Your "Should I upgrade
    cpu/mainboard or just buy the cpu" question at this point has no good
    answer. You need to be sure of what the problem actually is first, not what
    "Dr. Voice" tells you it is.

    Oxford Systems, Jun 21, 2004