  1. News

    News Guest

    Any preference as to processor when building new from scratch ?

    News, Jul 23, 2004

  2. without considering many other things, consider this for the future: if you
    are looking into 64bit processors, the AMD will be backwards compatible.
    Intel will not!!

    Me myself & I, Jul 23, 2004

  3. News wrote:

    > Any preference as to processor when building new from scratch ?

    Sure. AMD.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 23, 2004
  4. On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:43:12 +0000, News wrote:

    > Any preference as to processor when building new from scratch ?

    If you want to run 64 bit *now*, AMD. However unlike linux, I don't think
    Windows has 64 bit capability at this time...

    --
    SuSE Pro 9.1
    linux kernel 2.6.5-7.95 athlon 64bit

    Perce P. Cassidy, Jul 23, 2004
  5. News

    atec Guest

    "Perce P. Cassidy" wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:43:12 +0000, News wrote:
    >
    > > Any preference as to processor when building new from scratch ?

    > If you want to run 64 bit *now*, AMD. However unlike linux, I don't think
    > Windows has 64 bit capability at this time...

    there is a downloadable iso available , however like all winblows will
    be crippled , buggered or plain not working correctly at least some of
    the time.

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  6. i should correct myself (before I KNOW someone will <g>)........it is the
    128 bit processors which Intel will not be backwards compatible on. having
    said this, i generally prefer AMD (although they do run hotter)

    cheers,

    Me myself & I, Jul 24, 2004
  7. News

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Me myself & I" <> wrote in

    > i should correct myself (before I KNOW someone will <g>)........it is
    > the 128 bit processors which Intel will not be backwards compatible
    > on. having said this, i generally prefer AMD (although they do run
    > hotter)

    WTF are you talking about? What 128-bit processor from Intel?

    Jim Berwick, Jul 25, 2004
  8. News

    PuppyKatt Guest

    AMD

    "News" <> wrote in message news:ALeMc.98310$od7.69420@pd7tw3no...
    : Any preference as to processor when building new from scratch ?
    :
    :

    PuppyKatt, Jul 25, 2004
  9. do some research before you spout your mouth off. what do you think
    longhorn is intended for?? Longhorn is already being beta tested ON 128 BIT
    processors with both intel and AMD. the AMD processor is backwords compat
    with 64 bit and 32 bit software.

    i dont mind honest naivity or ignorance but do your own fucking research if
    you are going to be rude!

    Me myself & I, Jul 26, 2004
  10. News

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Me myself & I" <> wrote in

    > i dont mind honest naivity or ignorance but do your own fucking
    > research if you are going to be rude!

    Amazing. Simply amazing. I do not see any mention of any 128-bit
    processors on either AMD or Intel's websites. I also do not see any
    information about them on websites such as theregister.com,
    theinquirer.net, amdzone.com, intelzone.com, or any other fan sites.
    Unless I missed something somewhere, Longhorn will run on 32bit and 64bit
    CPUs (certain of the first, I've done it, confident of the second since
    it makes logical sense). Considering the timeframe of going from 8 -> 16
    -> 32 -> 64, I would have to fathom that we won't see a 128bit CPU for
    even high end consumer use until 2012 at the earliest, and that would
    shock me considering there is no market for 64bits right now, much less
    128bit.

    If you want to call me naive, ignorant, or rude, at least back it up with
    some of your own facts. Do my research? I've done my research. Where
    is yours?

    Jim Berwick, Jul 26, 2004