    eliminate this limitation?

    To reduce runtime I would like to be able to allocate 100% of both
    processors if the program needs it.
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlkcm9sb2d5?=, Jul 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SHlkcm9sb2d5?=

    Peter Lawton Guest

    If the task running is only single threaded, or does most of it's work on a
    single thread it will only be able to use 100% of 1 processor, sometimes the
    OS swaps this between the multiple processors, but it will never use more
    than the equivalent of 100% on a single processor, for example 50% on each
    of 2 CPUs or 25% on each of 4 CPUs.

    Programs that are written to be multi threaded, like SQL server, certainly
    can use all of your processors fully, unfortunately there aren't very many
    programs written to take advantage of multiple processors or drivers, DLLs
    etc either I'd guess.

    Other things that will use all processors are apps like Symantec AV for
    Exchange which runs multiple instances of the scanning engine, each one can
    potentially use 100% of a single CPU.

    I think you'd either have to write/compile the program to be able to use
    more than one thread effectively or perhaps run more than one instance at
    once. I'm not an expert though, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you
    more.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 26, 2005

  3. It could be that these programs that were compiled as multithreaded
    applications are not structured very well for multitasking. That would
    explain why even though both processors are bouncing around between 20 and 80
    percent, the total never gets over 50%.

    Do you know of a true mutithreaded application that I could download and
    test on this machine?

    =?Utf-8?B?SHlkcm9sb2d5?=, Jul 27, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SHlkcm9sb2d5?=

    Peter Lawton Guest

    That's difficult, there are very few true multithreaded programs that I know
    of. The ones I use that seem to do it very well are things like SQL

    Perhaps you could try some benchmarking software and run two instances at
    once?

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 27, 2005