    this amount normal ?
    It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    memory
    Andy Petro, Oct 20, 2009

  2. Andy Petro

    chuckcar Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in
    news:hbj2ql$s2p$-september.org:

    > In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
    > . Is this amount normal ?
    > It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    > memory

    Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2009

  3. Andy Petro

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >"Andy Petro" <> wrote in
    >
    >> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
    >> . Is this amount normal ?
    >> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    >> memory

    >Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

    How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?
    --

    From jog to sprint
    or

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2rW1alVv8
    , Oct 20, 2009
  4. Andy Petro

    Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote:

    >In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean . Is
    >this amount normal ?
    >It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    >memory

    To me 60 process in the task manager is a lot. as there are many more
    that aren't being shown.

    I keep mine within the 30 range.

    Almost every program you install want's to phone home for an update,
    it might see once a year if that.

    That's the first thing I'd do is right click on each system tray icon
    (that's not important, Like the Java icon) and disable it from calling
    out. (Java I actually had to delete the update program to stop it, you
    can still manually update it)

    Then each program you run go into options and stop the auto updates.

    As Nobody mentioned use Process explorer.

    I tried an online search, so I could tell you how to configure it, it
    used to be google only but Microsoft bought sysinternals, I figured
    you needed I.E. to search.

    BUT I couldn't do a search, I have the latest 11.33 and it won't work
    for me. In fact:
    "since 11.00, online search does not work. it opens the web browser,
    calls google, but only searches for "%1""
    http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6397&PID=55311

    Sorry bout that, as it was really handy - you can double click on a
    process, go to image, copy the file name and enter it into google, the
    file name, to google is usually the last file name in the command line
    section.

    Speaking of Autoruns it's very handy if you know what your doing, if
    you don't, you can disable things that shouldn't be.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    Use this program to stop DLL's from loading twice, if it can't find a
    file (file missing) try to find it or why it's gone - reinstall the
    program or stop the file from trying to load.

    also if you trying to connect to a network during startup and it's
    down it will take a long time to boot up.

    Just a few reasons you might be having long startup problems - but
    trimming 60 process's down to 20-40 would help a lot.

    --

    From jog to sprint

  5. Andy Petro wrote:
    > In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean . Is
    > this amount normal ?
    > It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    > memory

    Install "HijackThis" and poast the output, net abuser :)

    Or get processkill and start experimentin!

    Good Times.

    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39MhPrLQz4

    www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    `._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
    ~~~ :: :: ~~~
    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 20, 2009
  6. Andy Petro

    Tony Guest

    That makes perfect sense to me.

    wrote:

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Andy Petro" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
    > >> . Is this amount normal ?
    > >> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
    > >> memory

    > >Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

    > How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?
    > --
    >
    > From jog to sprint
    > or
    > If it's your time, you can't hide.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2rW1alVv8

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 20, 2009
  7. Andy Petro

    rf Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Andy Petro" <> wrote in

    >>> Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

    >> How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?

    > You can temporarily turn off everything in startup and the computer will
    > work just fine. Add back the items you need such as antivirus.

    Untill you end up with 60 processes running.
    rf, Oct 20, 2009