    So, it's one of the most recent Automatic Updates I did, since a fresh
    install with no updates doesn't have this problem. And it appears to be an
    important one. Any way of telling which one it is?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGVkcm9Bc2FuaQ==?=, Jul 4, 2007

  2. Many, many BIOS's (all???) have questionable or undefined ACPI support -
    have you tried an update?

    Tony. . .

    "PedroAsani" <> wrote in message
    > So I did a fresh install of X64 with SP2, got all my updates etc. Now one

    of

    Tony Sperling, Jul 4, 2007

  3. My first thought was the ACPI, but that hasn't changed. It's not a BIOS
    problem, since it would power down fine from a completely clean install. The
    Event Viewer\Application Log says it's due to a process failing to unload
    correctly at shutdown, causing the system to just sit and wait. As I said,
    the only change has been to go from the drivers from CD to the latest
    updates. But I have 24 processes being run by SYSTEM, and need a way to
    identify which one is the culprit.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVkcm9Bc2FuaQ==?=, Jul 4, 2007
  4. Even though your ACPI hasn't changed, an update to the 'system' files could
    end up interfacing with the subsystem in a way that breaks management that
    is already somewhat 'loose' in it's implementation. That it works initially,
    could be more or less coincidental, as well as the breakage could be
    coincidental, as the standard seems to be handled with a bit of a 'laissez
    fair' attitude.

    It's a stone I wouldn't leave unturned.

    We have a guy here who has posted a few competent looking contributions on
    how to read a 'dump' file (Brad Rutkowski), if you are with us on the usenet
    you can make a search on the name, if you are on the web interface you could
    check out this link he posted here:

    http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkowski

    I don't think he'd mind - he sounds quite friendly!

    Tony Sperling, Jul 4, 2007
  5. Hi,
    could be your antivirus. finish it and try then to restart.
    regards jk
    Juergen Kluth, Jul 4, 2007
  6. Apply the UPHClean. This will give you a better message about that process is
    in error.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837115

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJlbnRsZXk1Mg==?=, Aug 17, 2007