    But what i want to know is,why do i have 5 of them running when i check in
    the Task Manager ?

    thanks in advance for any advice
    me, May 1, 2005

  2. me

    K-CSC Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:ca9de.757$D91.297@fed1read01...
    >I have 5 instances of this svchost running on my PC.After checking at
    >www.processlibrary.com it says that apart from being a legitimate process
    >,it can also be registered as the W32.Welchia.Worm
    > But what i want to know is,why do i have 5 of them running when i check in
    > the Task Manager ?
    >
    > thanks in advance for any advice

    That's because svchost.exe carries out many takes for the O/S upon requests
    and several of them can be running at one time with different sub sets of
    services/programs it is hosting. If svchost.exe is not running out on
    Winnt/system32 Win 2k and down O/S(s) or Windows/System32 and up O/S(s) then
    it's a Trojan.

    However, that doesn't mean that a malware program cannot use svchost.exe on
    its behalf. And that's why you have other tools like Active Ports and
    Process Explorer to look at connections and see what programs are using a
    running process/program.

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Using PE, you right-click on a running process and select Properties and PE
    will tell you everything about the running task. You use many View/Show
    lower pane and Show all Dlls and PE will show you all programs the running
    process is hosting. And you can right-click in the lower pane too.

    K-CSC :)
    K-CSC, May 1, 2005

  3. me

    Plato Guest

    me wrote:

    > I have 5 instances of this svchost running on my PC.After checking at
    > www.processlibrary.com it says that apart from being a legitimate process
    > ,it can also be registered as the W32.Welchia.Worm
    > But what i want to know is,why do i have 5 of them running when i check in
    > the Task Manager ?

    Because that is how XP works.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 2, 2005
  4. That's not a very informative answer ..... you shouldn't reply with "that's
    how it works", that's just stupid.

    Hank Sniadoch, May 2, 2005
  5. me

    JANA Guest

    Excellent description of svchost:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 2, 2005
  6. me

    Plato Guest

    Hank Sniadoch wrote:

    > That's not a very informative answer ..... you shouldn't reply with "that's
    > how it works", that's just stupid.

    I suppose you should request a refund then since you dont like the
    service. Call you isp monday.
    Plato, May 2, 2005