    this is about and how to remedy it? I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1
    Thanks.
    , Aug 15, 2004

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in news:8futh0t6l30ilegchkpd7bf6eqobc2q43u@
    4ax.com:

    > Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:
    >
    > Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
    > The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
    > library msvcrt.dll
    >
    > It comes and goes with different applications, which I can start by
    > just acknowledging the error box, and the wording is sometimes
    > different as to what it's looking for. It's more of an annoyance right
    > now, but I don't want it turning into a major problem. Any ideas what
    > this is about and how to remedy it? I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1
    > Thanks.

    The problem you're having is due to Rundll32.exe and other programs that
    use msvcrt.dll cannot find a entry point into msvcrt.dll most likely some
    program function that is not there in msvcrt.dll. This can occur if
    msvcrt.dll was overlaid by some install process that installed a version
    of msvcrt.dll that doesn't have the entry point. You maybe able to
    correct the problem by finding an application install that had a version
    of msvcrt.dll that was valid for the other programs and overlaid the
    msvcrt.dll that is having issues.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 15, 2004

  3. wrote:

    > Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:
    >
    > Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
    > The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
    > library msvcrt.dll

    Check the version of the msvcrt.dll that's the first in your system path.
    Find all instances of msvcrt.dll in program folders and the windows path,
    rename them to something you remember. You may have to start in safe mode
    for the one that's active.
    Finally use one of the others, probably the newest or highest version number
    (properties will show) by putting it in the system path and renaming it
    back.
    Check your programs. If some old program won't run with that version, rename
    that msvcrt in it's own program folder back also. Make sure the link with
    which you call the program, has the folder set as it's "working folder".
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Guest

    Thanks. Where do I find the system path? I looked in the system.ini,
    win.ini and boot.ini and don't see it.

    >> Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:
    >>
    >> Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
    >> The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
    >> library msvcrt.dll
    >>

    >Check the version of the msvcrt.dll that's the first in your system path.
    >Find all instances of msvcrt.dll in program folders and the windows path,
    >rename them to something you remember. You may have to start in safe mode
    >for the one that's active.
    >Finally use one of the others, probably the newest or highest version number
    >(properties will show) by putting it in the system path and renaming it
    >back.
    >Check your programs. If some old program won't run with that version, rename
    >that msvcrt in it's own program folder back also. Make sure the link with
    >which you call the program, has the folder set as it's "working folder".
    , Aug 16, 2004
  5. Guest

    I just did a search on my C drive and find fifteen instances of this
    msvcrt.dll file, the most recent being 5/28/03. The problem started
    about a month ago. Eleven of the files are in programs I installed
    other than in Windows. The other four are in the Windows folders in:

    C:\WINDOWS\System32
    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime...
    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime...
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS

    The problem first appeared and appears mostly when launching AOL. (I
    know, AOL stinks, but I keep it for my kids.) I just tried renaming
    the file msvcrt.bak and launching AOL and got another message,
    similar, but says

    The procedure entry point _initterm| (a square) could not be located
    in the dynamic library msvcrt.dll (a square) means there's actually
    a little square in that space, which I don't know how to replicate
    here..

    So that's where it stands. As always, I appreciate any help. And
    hopefully no flames for having AOL on my system. Thanks.

  6. John Smith Guest

    To access your path settings, use the following:

    control panel ->
    system ->
    Advanced Tab of System Page
    Environment Variables button.

    This is where settings, such as the path variable are maintained. Other
    that that, follow what the error message states. Check each file's
    properties, one at a time, by right clicking them in their folder and
    selecting "properties". At that point - make sure you know which one is the
    newest. Make a note of where all the others were, and then move them to a
    storage folder - preferrably with new descriptive names, so that you know
    which came from where. Take the newest, make sure that its' folder is in
    the 'path' variable, and reboot.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred.

    Also - from read

    John Smith, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in

    > Thanks. Where do I find the system path? I looked in the system.ini,
    > win.ini and boot.ini and don't see it.

    That would be Windows/system32 and you may need to unregister the old dell
    and register the new Dll using regsvr32. And by taking the Dll from another
    directory, it may not fix the problem or lead to other problems, because
    the one being used by the application where the Dll was found may not have
    other functions that the one that is common in the Windows/system32
    directory being used by many programs that was overlaid.

    Good luck

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 16, 2004