    at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but that just
    gave us a taste for taking it further.
    Do some ISP's block Voip?
    NH, Jun 24, 2005

  2. NH

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "NH" <> wrote in message
    news:d9fg1a$9km$...
    >I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get
    >them set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number
    >for them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they
    >won't connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to
    >computer but that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
    > Do some ISP's block Voip?

    There has been talk of some trying, but I don't think any UK based ISP's
    have done so, IMHO they would be treading on dangerous ground since Vonage
    got sued in the US.

    What problems exactly are you having..? Without knowing more details I
    can't really advise. Personally I only have experience with Sipgate not
    Voipfone but I'm sure someone else will help you there.

    Are you using a softphone such as X-Lite or are you using a hardware
    ATA..? Be aware that Skype doesn't co-exist too well with X-Lite on the
    same PC.

    Email me direct with your numbers if you want to do any tests on Sipgate
    (address in sig).

    --
    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)
    Ivor Jones, Jun 24, 2005

  3. NH

    NH Guest

    I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
    timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through all
    the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
    Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
    ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
    We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.

    Baffled

    NH, Jun 24, 2005
  4. NH

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    "NH" <> wrote in message
    > I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
    > timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through

    all
    > the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
    > Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
    > ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
    > We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.
    >
    > Baffled

    Umm. Does your relative have a NAT in the way, and if so, have they
    configured their STUN server settings correctly? Sounds like the device is
    trying to REGISTER but the REGISTER response doesn't get back. By default
    this would be after 32 seconds, but the exact time may be slightly
    different. Depending on your hardware, a network trace (Ethereal or
    X-Lite's internal tracing if you're trying that) can be informative.

    If you think all is well, try exactly the same settings at your end. They
    should work just as well, or not!

    Paul DS.
    Paul D.Smith, Jun 24, 2005
  5. NH

    NH Guest

    Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
    Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out and
    in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

    NH, Jun 26, 2005
  6. NH

    GwG Guest

    "NH" <> wrote in message
    > Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
    > Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
    > and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

    What is your upload speed?
    When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow for
    VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
    If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
    codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite to
    only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the phone,
    G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.
    GwG, Jun 26, 2005
  7. VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
    VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

    Stefan Kaniuk, Jun 26, 2005
  8. NH

    GwG Guest

    "Stefan Kaniuk" <> wrote in message
    > VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
    > VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

    I have heard that sometimes you can get unusual side affects, like the caps
    key locking ;-)
    GwG, Jun 26, 2005
  9. NH

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:48:43 GMT, "Stefan Kaniuk"
    <> wrote:

    >VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
    >VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

    And at the outrageous prices Vonage are charging one would hope your
    lines are working .
    , Jun 26, 2005
  10. NH

    NH Guest

    "GwG" <> wrote in message

    > "NH" <> wrote in message
    >> Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
    >> Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
    >> and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.
    >>

    > What is your upload speed?
    > When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow
    > for VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
    > If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
    > codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite
    > to only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the
    > phone, G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.

    Both on broadband
    NH, Jun 26, 2005
  11. NH

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:52:03 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    >"Stefan Kaniuk" <> wrote in message
    >> VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
    >> VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

    >I have heard that sometimes you can get unusual side affects, like the caps
    >key locking ;-)

    I know Vonage couldn't be quite perfect !!:)) .
    , Jun 26, 2005
  12. NH

    GwG Guest

    "NH" <> wrote in message

    > "GwG" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "NH" <> wrote in message
    >>> Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
    >>> Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
    >>> and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.
    >>>

    >> What is your upload speed?
    >> When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow
    >> for VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
    >> If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
    >> codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite
    >> to only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the
    >> phone, G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.
    >>

    > Both on broadband

    The NTL service I mentioned is broadband, but some people are still on the
    56kb upload.
    Perhaps it would be better if you explained fully what equipment you are
    using, and what internet service/speed you are on, and then more people
    could comment on what your problems might be, because at the moment it is
    like playing Hangman.
    GwG, Jun 26, 2005