Problems With Xp "freezing"

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by jimmer101, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Hi.. And Thanks for your time in reading this message.

    I am having a problem in windows XP (SP2).

    The machine is fine when I am using it. It seems the problem occurs when I leave It for a length of time long enough for the "User LOG In" screen to appear (I currently have 3 users with diferent profiles).

    It seems and this is only a guess but this "log in" screen is somehow making my system mess up, giving me a blank blue screen and an operational mouse pointer.

    In this situation ctr/alt/delete does not work.. In fact all I can do is press the "shut down" button on my actual computer case.

    Please help!

    Many thanks

    Jimmer101

    jimmer101, Nov 18, 2006

  2. jimmer101

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try to set a different screen saver, and also change any power savings (like shutting off the hard drive) to something like leaving the machine running in normal mode.

    bigal, Nov 19, 2006

  3. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    xp freezing

    Hi!

    thanks for your response..

    I have tryed what you suggested but still having same problems.

    Please help!

    Would you suggest re-installing xp?

    Thanks jimmer

    jimmer101, Nov 25, 2006
  4. jimmer101

    Roshan

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Help

    Hi Jimmer !!

    I this can cause due to Two problems

    1. U May have applied a very heavy Wall Paper to your Desktop. Which after logging off takes ample of time to log back.

    2. Other user profiles should not be administrator, Just put them to the power user group.

    Change your wall paper & the other two user accounts as Power users then try.
    It Should workout.

    Best regards,

    Roshan

    Roshan, Nov 26, 2006
  5. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Thanks ROSHAN

    Yep it was the background.

    Have now changed wallpaper to somthing els and computer is now working fine!

    Many thanks

    Jimmer

    jimmer101, Nov 29, 2006
  6. jimmer101

    Roshan

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    U Are Most Well Come

    Please Defrag U'r PC thatrs Imp

    :haha:

    Roshan, Dec 2, 2006
  7. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    problems with XP freezing rebirth ;/ (FAO ROSHAN)

    Hi again Roshan

    Bet you didnt think you would be hearing from me again :)

    Basically I went to use my computer after leaving it on all night and was faced with our old freind... the blue screen with mouse pointer again.

    This is the first time its done it for a while now after changing the background (which was a huge file) which seened to do the trick.

    I am currently in the process of defragging C drive as it said it needed it + I had to delete about 11 gigs of stuff as it was full up!

    I also just checked my user settings and have found that there are 4 users! only 2 of which we use. and THEY ARE ALL ADMINISTRATOR settings. How do I change then to "the power group" as you suggested? (step by step instructions if poss :)

    Many thanks freind

    Jimmer

    jimmer101, Dec 3, 2006
  8. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    defrag report

    I have also just run defrag.. here is the report..

    I have emptyed my recycle bin to if this helps.

    many tx

    jimmer

    Attached Files:

    jimmer101, Dec 3, 2006
  9. jimmer101

    Roshan

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Hi Jimmer

    Please Fine Below the Steps to Disable or remore the unused user accounts.

    1. Right Click on u'r My Computer Icon - Manage
    2. Local Users & Settings
    3. Open the User folder on the Right had side of u'r screen

    In this u will see all the user accounts that u have created, righ click the unused user accounts & say Disable. Disable Even the Guest Account if u are not using it...

    On the Groups folder open the Administratot Tab & remove all the unused Admin Accounts. This might sort u'r Problem...

    Best regards,

    Roshan

    Roshan, Dec 6, 2006
  10. jimmer101

    Roshan

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Hi Jimmer

    Please Find Below the Steps to Disable or remove the unused user accounts.

    1. Right Click on u'r My Computer Icon - Manage
    2. Local Users & Settings
    3. Open the User folder on the Right had side of u'r screen

    In this u will see all the user accounts that u have created, right click the unused user accounts & say Disable. Disable Even the Guest Account if u are not using it...

    On the Groups folder open the Administrator Tab & remove all the unused Admin Accounts. This might sort u'r Problem...

    Best regards,

    Roshan

    Roshan, Dec 6, 2006
  11. jimmer101

    jimmer101

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    thanks!

    Merry christmas!

    It works fine now m8

    jim

    jimmer101, Dec 24, 2006
  12. jimmer101

    rblue

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    anyone know how to correct a corrupt registry message and correct system administrator privileges for 2000 professional?

    rblue, Oct 27, 2007