    Any ideas? I had 2kPro before so I have no idea if any of these problems
    would have occured in 32 bit XP with the same hardware configuration...but I
    doubt it.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=, May 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Start by telling us what your hardware configuration is. some of these
    problems are hardware specific and the only way for anyone to evaluate
    you problem is to know what your setup is.

    Rick, May 16, 2005

  3. Looks like the screen flicker was caused by my RAM being scaled too high.

    I have a Shuttle SN95G3 with 2x512 Corsair TwinX 3200 RAM. A BFG 6600GT OC
    card and a SB Live! x-Gamer 5.1 sound card as well as a pair of 7200 RPM hard
    drives generating loads of heat.

    When I installed the RAM under my previous OS (2k Pro), everything was fine
    at the performance settings and 2-3-7-3 timings. I leave my system running
    all the time so reboots are rare, maybe once every week or two. A couple
    reboots ago, the system refused to start and would blank screen after BIOS.
    After a few boots, I'd get to the XP did not start up properly screen and it
    would crash if I tried to boot in. I was able to solve the problem by
    reducing the timings to 2-3-8-3. The last reboot I did failed in the same
    fashion. I was able to get it running again by reducing from performance
    settings to normal. And now the flicker has gone away. Could this have been
    because of heat? It was hot the last several days. Or could this be an
    indication of bad RAM? I only have another week to return the RAM if this is
    the case.

    I don't have enough windows open to know if the task bar is still switching
    however.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=, May 17, 2005
  4. Patrick <> wrote:
    > Looks like the screen flicker was caused by my RAM being scaled too
    > high.
    >
    > I have a Shuttle SN95G3 with 2x512 Corsair TwinX 3200 RAM. A BFG
    > 6600GT OC card and a SB Live! x-Gamer 5.1 sound card as well as a
    > pair of 7200 RPM hard drives generating loads of heat.
    >
    > When I installed the RAM under my previous OS (2k Pro), everything
    > was fine at the performance settings and 2-3-7-3 timings. I leave my
    > system running all the time so reboots are rare, maybe once every
    > week or two. A couple reboots ago, the system refused to start and
    > would blank screen after BIOS. After a few boots, I'd get to the XP
    > did not start up properly screen and it would crash if I tried to
    > boot in. I was able to solve the problem by reducing the timings to
    > 2-3-8-3. The last reboot I did failed in the same fashion. I was
    > able to get it running again by reducing from performance settings to
    > normal. And now the flicker has gone away. Could this have been
    > because of heat? It was hot the last several days. Or could this be
    > an indication of bad RAM? I only have another week to return the RAM
    > if this is the case.
    >
    > I don't have enough windows open to know if the task bar is still
    > switching however.

    Hi Patrick

    The best thing is to test your memory. It's a long process but then you're
    sure all is ok.
    One good soft to test your memory is memtest86 (
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso)
    You can boot your pc from a diskette or a USB Key. Do it before going to bed
    because it takes a while :)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 17, 2005
  5. Patrick

    I'm not convinced that you've got problems with your memory timings, as
    suggested above.

    I had exactly the same problem under WinXP Pro (32 bit) with my GeForce
    4000MX, which I only started to notice after I had been messing around with
    monitor and video drivers after plugging in an LCD flat panel.

    The only success I had was to completely remove the nvidia video drivers and
    the (dell) monitor drivers, then reinstall the latest version from nvidia. I
    never found out what was causing the screen to go black, but now it's stopped
    so I'm happy.

    I've got my copy of x64 now so once I've found the time to install it I'll
    be waiting to see if it behaves...

    I can't comment on the taskbar/levels problem I'm afraid.

    =?Utf-8?B?d2FsbGFz?=, May 17, 2005
  6. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the memory timings since they are in
    line with Corsair's specs (I'm not over clocking) however nothing else seems
    to explain the fact that Windows won't even attempt to boot when the timings
    are at spec.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=, May 18, 2005