    wouldn't be able to be accessing this site.
    --
    eezenoj

    =?Utf-8?B?ZWV6ZW5vag==?=, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Hi
    This page has a description of the process that can be used to evaluate
    which part of the Wireless Network is Not functional. Please look at it and
    come back if you can not resolve the issue.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2007

  3. To Jack (mvp-networking) : I have gone thru that diagnostic - it's in the
    device manager part of the adapter ?? it says the device is functioning
    properly . I have also gotten sporadic messages about some driver not being
    enbled (or something like that ) but it like flashes up on the screen and
    then it's gone - a friend of mine checked my drives and downloaded some
    upgrades from Windows, but that doesn't seem to have helped any, either !!
    Gateway says if they are to diagnose and fix it I have to send it back soon
    before the warranty expires and that will take 6-8 wks they said and I just
    might die of boredom then !!!

    eezenoj

    =?Utf-8?B?ZWV6ZW5vag==?=, Feb 6, 2007
  4. I too have a new gateway laptop and have been having the same problems that
    you have described. I spoke to gatway support and was told to down load the
    broadcom driver and that would fix the prob's. However it has not.

    My computer was running ok and I could click on the wireless icon,
    bring up the search networks box,
    click, find refresh button and it would list the wireless networks for me to
    choose from.

    I have tried so many different things that at this point I am ready to throw
    the damn thing out the window,,,

    Short of backing up everything on my computer, which I do most of the time
    and using the recover cd, which I assume will reinstall win xp etc. and then
    reinstalling all of my programs etc, which will be a long pain,,,, I dont
    know what else to do to fix the wireless problems..

    Wings32s

    =?Utf-8?B?d2luZ3MzMnM=?=, Feb 8, 2007
  5. The problems mentioned by both of you could be caused by a number of things,
    which is why Jack pointed you to a site that provides a variety of
    suggestions for fixing wireless connections.

    There are basically 3 things that can be causing the problems you describe:

    1) Wireless connection hardware problem
    2) Wireless connection software problem
    3) Wireless network availability

    The first thing I would check is that a wireless network is available (#3).
    You can do this by opening the network connections control panel,
    double-clicking your wireless connection, and then clicking on view wireless
    networks - it sounds like something you've done before. If wireless
    networks say "security-enabled" then they are password protected and you
    won't be able to connect unless you know the password. Presumably if you
    have your own wireless router then you added the password when you set up
    your wireless connection, or you didn't set up your wireless network with
    security enabled. If you can't see any networks, then you should check your
    wireless router and perhaps reset it.

    If you have checked your wireless adapter in device manager and it has no
    problems, you can probaby assume you don't have a hardware problem.

    That narrows it down to a software problem, which might be your driver, or
    some aspect of your wireless configuration. You can try reinstalling the
    driver by deleting the wireless connection and rebooting. The computer
    should detect the wireless adapter and reinstall it. If this doesn't happen,
    then you have a hardware problem. If you have a security enabled network,
    you'll need to reconfigure the security settings again.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.