Problems with Windows XP internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dan Welch, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    Hi,
    My wife and I bought new PCs just before Xmas - identical machines running
    Windows XP Home. I set up Internet Connection Sharing using the network set
    up wizard with no problems. However, about 10 days ago she lost all access
    to the Net and our computers could no longer "see" each other over the
    network.
    I checked all the cables etc etc, all connected and fine. By changing the IP
    address on my wife's machine the computers can now "see" each other again...
    but she still has no Internet. I can connect fine. I have uninstalled Zone
    Alarm and both machines are relying on the Windows Firewall. My connection
    to the Internet is shared. Under "tools / options" in Internet Explorer her
    connection is LAN, "automatically detect settings". Any ideas what's wrong,
    or a way to reset her computer's connections to how they were initially so
    we can start again from scratch? I assume that it's her computer that's at
    fault as that's the one having the problem. Both have been checked by
    Adaware, Spybot and the new Microsoft spyware programme as well as both AVG
    and Norton 2005.
    All help appreciated.
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Dan Welch

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:46:49 +0000, Dan Welch wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My wife and I bought new PCs just before Xmas - identical machines running
    > Windows XP Home. I set up Internet Connection Sharing using the network set
    > up wizard with no problems. However, about 10 days ago she lost all access
    > to the Net and our computers could no longer "see" each other over the
    > network.
    > I checked all the cables etc etc, all connected and fine. By changing the IP
    > address on my wife's machine the computers can now "see" each other again...
    > but she still has no Internet. I can connect fine. I have uninstalled Zone
    > Alarm and both machines are relying on the Windows Firewall. My connection
    > to the Internet is shared. Under "tools / options" in Internet Explorer her
    > connection is LAN, "automatically detect settings". Any ideas what's wrong,
    > or a way to reset her computer's connections to how they were initially so
    > we can start again from scratch? I assume that it's her computer that's at
    > fault as that's the one having the problem. Both have been checked by
    > Adaware, Spybot and the new Microsoft spyware programme as well as both AVG
    > and Norton 2005.
    > All help appreciated.
    > cheers
    > dan

    Erm, System Restore?
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jan 13, 2005

  3. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:46:49 +0000, Dan Welch wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> My wife and I bought new PCs just before Xmas - identical machines
    >> running
    >> Windows XP Home. I set up Internet Connection Sharing using the network
    >> set
    >> up wizard with no problems. However, about 10 days ago she lost all
    >> access
    >> to the Net and our computers could no longer "see" each other over the
    >> network.

    [..]

    > Erm, System Restore?
    > --

    Tried that and it didn't work - but in the end with fooling around with IP
    addresses etc I got connected. Thanks for your reply though.
    cheers

    dan

    Dan Welch, Jan 13, 2005
  4. On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:14:46 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    <> wrote:

    >> Erm, System Restore?
    >> --

    >Tried that and it didn't work - but in the end with fooling around with IP
    >addresses etc I got connected. Thanks for your reply though.
    >cheers

    Did you system restore BOTH machines? The problem might actually be
    in yours. That's the one with the internet connection she can't
    access. Besides, it's easier to ditch the ICS and firewalls and get a
    router.

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?

    Governor Swill, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Dan Welch

    aspicer

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    This is about as close as I've seen it yet, to a problem that I've seen all over the place. I install computers and networks in mobile marine environment (motor yachts). We've done more than a half-dozen networks lately that are using Windows XP SP2 "Internet Connection Sharing". Almost a day doesn't go by that I get called that "It's Not Working!". Almost so much that I want to recommend that ICS be renamed INW for It's Not Working.

    The problem manifests itself not too long after we leave a boat with some type of connection shared onto a wired (and/or wireless) network. If we do wireless the wireless is coming off the the wired "Local Area Connection" anyway so that's the "inside" LAN connection for sharing. Wireless is just added onto LAN wired structure. We still depend on ICS to handle the network.

    [Wifi or Verizon Broadband]---[Windows XP]---[Local Area Connection]---[Wireless Access Point(s)]

    Lately a lot of them have been XP HOME or XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION. That's because lots of manufacturers are putting MEDIA CENTER EDITION on their newer decent hardware.

    We get the call... "Can't get on the Internet from a connected Laptop", "The main computer is on the Internet OK."

    The juggle, I've found, to fix this, is to Turn off the ICS (the sharing of Internet), Reboot main computer, Turn back on the ICS. Then it starts working again.

    But why does this happen? And can it be prevented?

    Some tests by myself have often tracked it down even further. Knowing how things work, I'll ping and Internet IP Address that I've gotten by doing the same ping on the main computer (e.g. ping www.google.com) and ping just the IP Address from a connected laptop. Often this ping works fine. But it seems that DNS resolution by the main computer: 192.168.0.1 has stopped working. (other times I've seen ICS stop assigning/renewing IP Addresses altogether.) I proved this with a colleage with his XP Home on a laptop. Shared his Verizon card onto the LAN connector. Plugged in another computer (yeah I know, cross-over cable) and it occured. Did the juggle described above and it starts working again.

    Now this is not some isolated incident where someone's messed up their XP installation somehow. This is happening all over the place. I thought XP Pro might be imune but I saw it have the problems as well.

    Does anyone know, or know a link to a real fix? I've tried some stuff that's supposed to fix networking problems in XP SP2 but nothing seems to fix this. And it's annoying and hard to explain to non-technical people.

    ---
    Alan Spicer
    http://telecom.dyndns.biz/

    aspicer, Aug 2, 2006