    sufficient, right? There's no problem with voltage or anything, right?

    Is there somebody at Netgear I can beat up? Maybe the designer of the
    WG511T? Or maybe just a class action lawsuit I can join?

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005

  2. M-80

    N. Miller Guest

    On 29 Sep 2005 22:23:40 -0700, M-80 wrote:

    > Now, I'm not really expecting much help anyway as I see this as a
    > losing battle anyway. :(
    >
    > Anywho, I can't connect to the router with the card. I've tried all the
    > options related to wireless in the settings of the router and I've
    > tried the limited options in the wireless card's network setup utility
    > on my laptop. But it seems like the only thing in the card is a circuit
    > to flash the lights and pieces of waded up paper (ie: it seems the
    > wireless card does nothing but flash the lights). Now, I'm pulling my
    > hair out trying to figure this thing out. I have a Thinkpad Series i
    > 1400 2621 laptop with the Celeron processor at 400MHz. This should be
    > sufficient, right? There's no problem with voltage or anything, right?

    > Is there somebody at Netgear I can beat up? Maybe the designer of the
    > WG511T? Or maybe just a class action lawsuit I can join?

    There is a good Netgear forum here:

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/netgear

    Why is it that the first thing people think of when a product of this
    nature fails is, "Class action lawsuit"? I have never seen a class action
    settlement that was worth even ten cents on the dollar of the product which
    triggered the suit. In order to make any money on a class action lawsuit,
    you need to be one of the lawyers, not one of the litigants.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    N. Miller, Sep 30, 2005

  3. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    I was joking. Thought that came through. ;-) I joke when depressed.

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  4. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    Well, I found a lot of people asking questions for the WG511T but no
    one answering them. Kinda what I expected. :-(

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  5. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    I mean, is there something so obvious to everybody else that I'm just
    totally missing? Like a setting that's buried somewhere in Windows XP
    and I'm just an idiot for not realizing it?

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  6. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    The card is in an endless loop of acquiring the network address. And
    then it stops and says I have limited to no connectivity.

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  7. M-80

    Tom Lake Guest

    "M-80" <> wrote in message
    > The card is in an endless loop of acquiring the network address. And
    > then it stops and says I have limited to no connectivity.

    I have that problem when I use WEP and let Windows handle the wireless card.
    If I turn off WEP or use the Netgear drivers instead of letting Windows
    manage the wireless connection, I have no problems here.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Sep 30, 2005
  8. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    It seems that it still happened right off the bat with basic settings
    (no security, WEP or WPA) in the Netgear driver utility. Maybe using
    just Windows' handling without security on is the answer? I don't have
    high hopes for that if it didn't work with the Netgear driver utility.

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  9. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    Nope, still having problems.

    M-80, Sep 30, 2005
  10. M-80 schrieb:

    > Nope, still having problems.

    Why not start from scratch and do one step at a time?

    1. disable all security from the Access Point (no MAC filter, no
    encryption).

    2. check that on the client the wireless connection has its IP stack set
    to automatic (dhcp that is)

    3. acquire available networks and connect to *yours*

    go on from there...

    --
    Martin Bodenstedt

    (www.die-bodenstedts.de / www.maboko.de)

    Martin Bodenstedt, Sep 30, 2005
  11. M-80

    N. Miller Guest

    On 29 Sep 2005 23:32:30 -0700, M-80 wrote:

    > I was joking. Thought that came through. ;-) I joke when depressed.

    I missed the smiley in the original post...

    N. Miller, Sep 30, 2005
  12. M-80

    JohnF Guest

    "M-80" <> wrote in message
    > Now, I'm not really expecting much help anyway as I see this as a
    > losing battle anyway. :(

    I'm sorry your experience is so frustrating.

    Now, let me be a bit critical: Couldn't you give a few more specifics? What
    operating system are you running? What type of Internet service are you
    using? Are you using a desktop computer as well as the laptop? From which
    computer are you doing the router set-up?

    In between the lines, it sounds like:

    - Your WG511T is getting a reasonable radio connection to the WGT624v3. Do
    you see some green bars, or evidence of an "excellent" or "good" wireless
    signal? What channel is connecting? Are there other wireless units nearby on
    the same or adjacent channel?

    - Your laptop computer, through the WG511T, is getting a TCP/IP connection
    to the router. If you are using Windows XP, view the connection. Right-click
    and do a "repair". Do you see a complete process of renewing the IP address
    (which is coming from the DHCP server in the wireless router)?

    - Your router is not connecting to the Internet. Pay attention to your
    cable/DSL modem. Does your router need to login to the ISP? Did you have a
    good Internet connection when the computer was connected directly to the
    router?

    JohnF, Oct 1, 2005
  13. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    Oops. Sorry about that. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Thinkpad
    laptop. Now I've heard a lot of things about PCMCIA WiFi cards and SP2
    being just plain out incompatible. Is this true? And the router is
    fine. I can use all other WiFi devices with it, including a Linksys
    Ethernet bridge on one of the other computers.

    M-80, Oct 1, 2005
  14. M-80

    M-80 Guest

    Check, check and check. I even did a complete OS reinstall to see if it
    wasn't anything interfering with the drivers.

    I'm starting to believe it's SP2. Maybe I should just roll back to SP1?

    M-80, Oct 1, 2005