problems with usb 1 and win98

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by The Pugmaster, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Try downloading all of the Microsoft "critical patches" and make sure the printer/printer cable work. Also make sure that the port
    that you are using works.

    The Pugmaster

    "robert" <> wrote in message news:UR%mb.16135$...
    Computer Specs:

    Pentium II 366
    Windows 98SE
    6 GB Hard Drive
    256 memory
    PCI USB Card 1.0

    Works well after installing drivers and application
    However, after printing the first page, and error shows up stating:
    "ERROR COMMUNICATING WITH THE PRINTER"
    Tech Support from Lexmark X85 keeps telling me to re-installing the drivers
    but nothing seems to work and I don't have to keep waiting 5 to 10mins all
    the time.
    Could there be a problems with USB and Windows 98 or the printer?
    Do I need to install a patch for win98?
    Or should I just upgrade to windows ME??
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

    robert, Oct 27, 2003

  3. The Pugmaster

    Ian A. Guest

    "robert" <> wrote in message
    > Computer Specs:
    >
    > Pentium II 366
    > Windows 98SE
    > 6 GB Hard Drive
    > 256 memory
    > PCI USB Card 1.0
    >
    > Works well after installing drivers and application
    > However, after printing the first page, and error shows up stating:
    > "ERROR COMMUNICATING WITH THE PRINTER"
    > Tech Support from Lexmark X85 keeps telling me to re-installing the

    drivers
    > but nothing seems to work and I don't have to keep waiting 5 to 10mins all
    > the time.
    > Could there be a problems with USB and Windows 98 or the printer?
    > Do I need to install a patch for win98?
    > Or should I just upgrade to windows ME??
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    Similar to Navin's situation I have a customer who called this week, same
    problem communicating with a Lexmark X85. He is using a Dell notebook, and
    has tried reinstalling the drivers, changing cables and using different
    ports. Some times the printer works but more often than not it doesn't. I
    think he is also going to try and return it.

    Ian

    Ian A., Oct 30, 2003