Problems with System Restore and mass storage device

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    XP Home. Added a FAT32 pre-formatted USB external drive. XP correctly
    identified it in My Computer, grouped it under 'Hard Disk Drives' not
    'Devices with Removable Storage' and System Restore (SR) started to monitor
    it and added a System Volume Information folder which I could open and
    navigate through. I formatted the drive in NTFS and after when I try to open
    the System Volume Information folder on the external drive root from an
    administrator account it says 'E:\System Volume Information is not
    accessible. Access is denied.' When I reboot to safe mode and login with the
    built-in Administrator account access is still denied and the permissions on
    the security tab of the properties sheet for this folder are all unchecked
    and greyed out and I can find no way to take control of it. Added to this
    the way SR views the external drive is erratic. Until I delete a file from
    the external drive it is not noted on the System Properties SR tab, after
    which it is marked as 'Offline' and its settings option is greyed out. If I
    globally turn off SR with the external drive connected and then restart it
    the external drive is then marked as 'Monitoring' and I can access its
    settings and switch it to 'Turned Off' but after disconnecting the drive and
    then reconnecting it is back to not being shown or marked as 'Offline'. Also
    globally turning off SR with the external drive connected does not erase its
    System Volume Information folder and if I defragment the drive it lists SR
    change logs for E. I can live with all this inconsistency if it were not for
    the creeping feeling that this is making all the restore points for C
    corrupt and if I need to restore I will not be able to. Ideally I want the
    external drive to consistently not be monitored by SR and be treated
    entirely as a removable drive. Grateful for any help on this. Thanks.

    --
    Regards

    Jack, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Jack

    Smoker~ Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > XP Home. Added a FAT32 pre-formatted USB external drive. XP correctly
    > identified it in My Computer, grouped it under 'Hard Disk Drives' not
    > 'Devices with Removable Storage' and System Restore (SR) started to
    > monitor
    > it and added a System Volume Information folder which I could open and
    > navigate through. I formatted the drive in NTFS and after when I try to
    > open
    > the System Volume Information folder on the external drive root from an
    > administrator account it says 'E:\System Volume Information is not
    > accessible. Access is denied.' When I reboot to safe mode and login with
    > the
    > built-in Administrator account access is still denied and the permissions
    > on
    > the security tab of the properties sheet for this folder are all unchecked
    > and greyed out and I can find no way to take control of it. Added to this
    > the way SR views the external drive is erratic. Until I delete a file from
    > the external drive it is not noted on the System Properties SR tab, after
    > which it is marked as 'Offline' and its settings option is greyed out. If
    > globally turn off SR with the external drive connected and then restart it
    > the external drive is then marked as 'Monitoring' and I can access its
    > settings and switch it to 'Turned Off' but after disconnecting the drive
    > and
    > then reconnecting it is back to not being shown or marked as 'Offline'.
    > Also
    > globally turning off SR with the external drive connected does not erase
    > its
    > System Volume Information folder and if I defragment the drive it lists SR
    > change logs for E. I can live with all this inconsistency if it were not
    > for
    > the creeping feeling that this is making all the restore points for C
    > corrupt and if I need to restore I will not be able to. Ideally I want the
    > external drive to consistently not be monitored by SR and be treated
    > entirely as a removable drive. Grateful for any help on this. Thanks.
    >
    > --

    There's a major problem with XP and USB external drives. Commonly they won't
    be detected or won't show up in My Computer even though they are listed in
    Device Manager. M$ has at least one fix on their site. There are numerous
    fixes for this all over the net as what works for one doesn't work for
    another.

    What I read that made sense was to use TweakUI to assign a drive letter way
    down the alphabet to your external drive. For me that was only a partial
    fix, but at least my drive gets detected once per cold boot.

    Smoker~, Mar 2, 2006