Problems with Skype

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Tony, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I've installed Skype on a 5+ year old laptop (Compaq Presario 1277,
    477mhz, 64mb) running Windows 98SE, 56K dialup mode. As would be
    expected, I'm having problems with the sound quality. I know that
    Skype is designed for more
    modern computers, but I've seen posting of some who have been
    sucessful.

    These are my thoughts on what could be wrong, besides getting a more
    powerful
    computer or chosing another VOIP program.

    1. The microphone: unlikely as it has worked well in the past with
    voice recognition software.

    2. The computer program: Skype seems to work okay. It installed well
    and
    ran well, but seemed to be slow. As a matter of fact, many people
    were trying
    to Skype me while I was Skyping someone else.

    3. The use of a dial-up modem: I am hooked up to a 56K dial up modem;
    don't have broadband or DSL. On various newsgroups, it appears that
    some
    people have been able to use a 56K modem, but they too have had sound
    problems.

    4. The computer itself: I think this is the root of my problems. As
    mentioned previously, this laptop is about 5 years old and runs at
    477mhz and 64mb RAM. I think it just might be too slow to be
    effective for Skype. Unfortunatly, I can't use computer at work.

    If there are other VOIP & similar programs that could successfully run
    in this environment, please let me know, as I would appreciate your
    comments.

    Tony
    Tony, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Tony

    Pepperoni Guest

    Give Voiceglo a try:
    http://www.glophone.com/plans
    The "Bluephone" is free, and even gives free "anyphone" minutes. Once you
    get registered, calls are free between Blue users. I believe that the
    glo2go is java.
    http://www.glophone.com/glo2go_express
    *********
    WARNING!
    DO NOT login to Glo2Go Express if you are using the same PC on which your
    GloPhone software is installed.
    Doing so will cause Glo2Go Express to replace your GloPhone.
    Sound is good, even over dialup.
    Check out the premium plans.

    Good looking dialpad and simple to use.

    I use W98se, don't use Skype because 98 wasn't listed----- you could use a