Problems with Skype

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Tony, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I've installed Skype on a 5+ year old laptop (Compaq Presario 1277,
    477mhz, 64mb) running Windows 98SE, 56K dialup mode. As would be
    expected, I'm having problems with the sound quality. I know that
    Skype is designed for more
    modern computers, but I've seen posting of some who have been
    sucessful.

    These are my thoughts on what could be wrong, besides getting a more
    powerful
    computer or chosing another VOIP program.

    1. The microphone: unlikely as it has worked well in the past with
    voice recognition software.

    2. The computer program: Skype seems to work okay. It installed well
    and
    ran well, but seemed to be slow. As a matter of fact, many people
    were trying
    to Skype me while I was Skyping someone else.

    3. The use of a dial-up modem: I am hooked up to a 56K dial up modem;
    don't have broadband or DSL. On various newsgroups, it appears that
    some
    people have been able to use a 56K modem, but they too have had sound
    problems.

    4. The computer itself: I think this is the root of my problems. As
    mentioned previously, this laptop is about 5 years old and runs at
    477mhz and 64mb RAM. I think it just might be too slow to be
    effective for Skype. Unfortunatly, I can't use computer at work.

    If there are other VOIP & similar programs that could successfully run
    in this environment, please let me know, as I would appreciate your
    comments.

    Tony

    Tony, Oct 1, 2004