Problems with segments.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    My network is comprised of one subnet but several segments (as I understand
    it).

    The configuration is as follows:

    +----------+
    | Internet |
    +----+-----+
    +----+----------+
    +----+----------+
    | INSIDE (192.168.0.*) Mask 255.255.255.0
    +----+-----+
    | Switch |
    +-+------+-+
    | |
    +-+----+ +------+
    | PC A | | Hub |
    +------+ +-+----+----+
    | |
    +-+----+ +--+-----+
    | PC B | | C5100N |
    +------+ +--------+

    PC A and PC B actually stand for groups of PCs (so its not a one off).

    PC A can ping PC B (and vice versa)

    PC B can ping C5100N (and print to it)

    PC A CANNOT ping C5100N despite the fact that it can ping PC B.

    This makes me think that there is some funny behaviour with the printer
    (since it doesn't behave like all the other devices (PCs) that are connected
    to the Hub).

    I hope I haven't got the wrong definition of segment ( i think a segment is
    a single collision area). As I understand it PC A is in a different segment
    from PC B and the C5100N, but is in the same subnet.

    Can anyone think of a reason for this happening other than the printer being
    broken?

    TIA,

    John
    John, Jan 7, 2004

  2. John

    Ron Bandes Guest

    Does the printer have the same network address and the same subnet mask as
    the PC-A and PC-B devices?

    Ron Bandes
    CTT, CCNP, etc.

    Ron Bandes, Jan 9, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Printer's IP is 192.168.0.47
    501 Address is 192.168.0.1 (internet gateway)

    PC A is (e.g. 192.168.0.97) 192.168.0.1 gateway
    PC B is (e.g. 192.168.0.54) 192.168.0.1 gateway

    All subnet masks are 255.255.255.0

    John

    John, Jan 9, 2004