Problems with SanDisk 64MB SD Card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I used my DiMAGE X today to take some pictures at an event run by an
    organization I belong to. The pictures are supposed to be published in
    our next monthly newsletter, so I have some interest in understanding or
    fixing what went wrong.

    I've used the camera several times before for the same purpose with no
    problems, but only with the stock 8MB SD card that came with the camera.
    Today was the first time that I tried the used SanDisk 64MB SD card that
    I purchased on eBay last month. (Naturally I tested the card right
    after I bought it, with two or three practice shots that I was able to
    upload to my computer with no problem.) The picture-taking went fine; I
    put the camera in playback mode several times to check that the images
    were actually being stored on the card.

    The problems started when I tried to upload today's batch to my computer
    (36 photos out of the card's capacity of about 60 photos based on the
    quality settings I chose). Inserting the card into my card reader didn't
    cause iPhoto to launch (I'm an OS X user). Putting the card back into the
    camera and connecting it to my computer via USB didn't cause iPhoto to
    launch. When I used the Finder to browse the SD card, all I saw were zero
    KB files with nonsense names and none of the folders of images that I've
    come to expect from browsing CompactFlash and SmartMedia cards in the
    past.

    After each of these steps, I would use the playback mode on the camera to
    confirm that, yes, the images were still on the card. So I just
    started trying different things. I have an old PC sitting next to my
    Mac, so I installed the Minolta viewer software and drivers on the PC and
    connected the camera via USB. The info sidebar in the My Computer window
    showed that 23 MB were being used on the card, but the viewer utility
    thought the card was empty and wouldn't let me import any images. Double
    clicking the card's icon also showed me a bunch of nonsense files. I
    booted my Mac into OS 9, installed the drivers for my card reader, and
    mounted the card. Same nonsense files, no folders.

    After putting the card away in the Finder, removing it from the card
    reader, and putting it back in my camera, I finally got the dreaded
    "Unable to use card" warning message. I can no longer use my camera to
    browse the images, and when I put the camera in photo mode, it thinks it
    has all 60 shots available.

    I reconnected the camera to the PC, and it confirmed that now only 1.5 MB
    were being used on the card.

    So, what happened? Did my SanDisk 64MB card just spontaneously go bad?
    Why could I initially use the camera to see the images, but not use any
    of my OSes to browse to the image files on the card?

    My understanding of data storage on hard drives is that when data is
    "deleted," only the reference to the data is removed, and the data doesn't
    really go away until that part of the drive is overwritten by something
    else. Is there something equivalent to Norton Unerase for this kind of
    media that would allow me to "rescue" the images (assuming they are really
    still there, just hidden)? I haven't tried using the card again, either
    by taking a test shot or formatting the card.

    I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
    advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid having
    this happen again would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mark

    Mark, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Mark

    Rick Deckard Guest

    (Mark) gave Roy Batty a mean glare and said:

    >I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
    >advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid having
    >this happen again would be appreciated.

    That really sucks. I've been using digital cameras since 1999 and never had
    that happen to me.

    A variety of things could have happened. The card was defective, or you
    didn't format it in the camera before using it, or when you first put the
    card in the card reader the data was corrupted.

    It's possible that your photos are still there, if you try a data recovery
    program like Norton Unerase on it.

    SanDisk cards have a 3 year or 5 year warranty so at least you can get it
    replaced if it is defective.

    "You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
    The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
    The entree consists of boiled dog."

    Rick Deckard, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Mark

    Gerry H Guest

    "Rick Deckard" <> wrote in message
    > (Mark) gave Roy Batty a mean glare and said:
    >

    > >I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
    > >advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid

    having
    > >this happen again would be appreciated.

    > That really sucks. I've been using digital cameras since 1999 and never

    had
    > that happen to me.
    >
    > A variety of things could have happened. The card was defective, or you
    > didn't format it in the camera before using it, or when you first put the
    > card in the card reader the data was corrupted.
    >
    > It's possible that your photos are still there, if you try a data recovery
    > program like Norton Unerase on it.
    >
    > SanDisk cards have a 3 year or 5 year warranty so at least you can get it
    > replaced if it is defective.
    >

    > "You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
    > The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
    > The entree consists of boiled dog."

    You could try Photo Rescue http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ or one
    of the other similar programmes on the market. I've never tried it myself
    but it seems to get good reviews.

    Gerry

    Gerry H, Jul 14, 2003