Problems with Outlook/Word on x64 machine

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. Dear all,
    I have just received a new machine based on an Intel Core i7 920 with
    12GB RAM running Windows XP Professional x64.

    Beside a little problem with RDC I posted already, I have a big one with MS
    Outlook and Word. I have installed MS Office 2002 SP3 and it is kind of
    working.

    However, mostly with Word, when it is running all OS graphics is incredibly
    slow. IN particular, if I am switching tabs in the task manager or the
    Display Properties GUI running Word in the background, the OS spends ~1s to
    render the new tab. This slowness occasionally degenerate to a temporary
    freezing of the PC.

    When Word is switched off, the system restart working properly. Word was
    configured to run in XP simulation and I have almost no problem with other
    x32 software.

    Any known incompatibilities that could explain my problem? We are think gin
    to test a new graphic card in the meanwhile. Currently, we have an ATI
    Radeon HD 3400 Series.

    Any suggestion welcome,

    Cheers,

    Dr Alessandro Esposito

    University of Cambridge

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009

  2. You should look for updated ATI drivers. There's no reason that card
    shouldn't be quite adequate. But I still suspect that you're seeing a
    networking timeout.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2009

  3. In which manner could I test if is a network timeout that is influencing
    Word operation? This is also occuring when the PC is off the network... I do
    not know what to test more than this. Unfortunately, I do not have any error
    in the logs...

    Cheers,

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009
  4. by the way... with multiple ping coomands from the RD client (x32) to the
    host (x64) I never get timeouts with a response time of 11ms or less.

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009
  5. I checked the ATI drivers: they are the most recent and (apparently)
    correctly installed for Xp Pro x64...

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 16, 2009
  6. Dear all,
    if anybody else experienced my same problems, here the solutions:

    1) if you have ATI drivers and are already the latest available, rollback to
    previous versions because ATI drivers can block your Remote Desktop services

    2) Old versions of Office are working just fine on x64 machines. However,
    many of us, at least in the academic world, use EndNote to manage
    references. Although Thomson Reuters declare full compatibility of its
    product EndNote with x64 machines: it isn't. Many reports on Word becoming
    unusable with it. Unfortunately, I got a fully configured system and it was
    painful to understand what was wrong!

    Cheers,

    Alessandro

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 18, 2009
  7. ok... Thomson Reuters provided a work around in their FAQ:

    http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/Install/faq28.asp

    Cheers,

    Alessandro Esposito, Feb 18, 2009