    Thanks for your help.
    --
    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 23, 2004

  2. MaryL

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    MaryL wrote:

    > I am using a C-2100- Ultra Zoom. I hate to admit it, but I have not used
    > any of the advanced features; I have simply been using the automatic
    > setting. Even so, I obtained some beautiful pictures -- until recently.
    > Within the last few days, these two problems suddenly occurred: (1) all
    > pictures are now fuzzy and out-of-focus; (2) images seen through the small
    > viewfinder are now very dark and can hardly be seen.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any ideas about what the problem may be? Is this
    > something that I can change through settings, or do I have a mechanical
    > problem?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Hi Mary...

    I realize that you're using it only in it's auto mode,
    but you or someone may have inadvertently set some of the
    other features in the camera...

    If you don't mind losing your date and time settings, then
    the simplest way to put it back to the Olympus default
    setup is to just remove the batteries for a few hours.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 23, 2004

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message

    > MaryL wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a C-2100- Ultra Zoom. I hate to admit it, but I have not used
    >> any of the advanced features; I have simply been using the automatic
    >> setting. Even so, I obtained some beautiful pictures -- until recently.
    >> Within the last few days, these two problems suddenly occurred: (1) all
    >> pictures are now fuzzy and out-of-focus; (2) images seen through the
    >> small viewfinder are now very dark and can hardly be seen.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me any ideas about what the problem may be? Is this
    >> something that I can change through settings, or do I have a mechanical
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.

    > Hi Mary...
    >
    > I realize that you're using it only in it's auto mode,
    > but you or someone may have inadvertently set some of the
    > other features in the camera...
    >
    > If you don't mind losing your date and time settings, then
    > the simplest way to put it back to the Olympus default
    > setup is to just remove the batteries for a few hours.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Thanks. I'll try that.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 23, 2004
  4. Mary

    As a C2100 user myself (wonderful camera - you can keep your megapixels),
    here are my thoughts...

    >>all pictures are now fuzzy and out-of-focus

    Not sure about this one. There are three autofocus modes on the C2100 plus
    manual focus mode. Could you inadvertently have set it into manual focus
    mode? I am writing this from memory because I am at the office and the
    camera is at home, so please excuse any inaccuracies. You switch between
    autofocus and manual focus by pressing the OK button on the back of the
    camera. You should then see AF and MF options on screen, right hand side if
    memory serves me. I think it's left arrow to select autofocus then press OK
    again.

    >> images seen through the small viewfinder are now very dark and can

    hardly be seen.
    It is quite easy, by accident, to set exposure compensation and this could
    explain the dark viewfinder phenomenon. Are the pictures you take also
    dark? That would certainly indicate an exposure compensation problem.

    If you press the left or right arrow keys (top right rear), these adjust
    exposure compensation. Left arrow (if I remember correctly) reduces the
    exposure from that calculated automatically, and could therefore result in a
    darker image. Right arrow increases it. As you press left or right arrows
    you should see a number which goes down (possibly negative) as you press
    left arrow and increases as you press right. Press the appropriate arrow
    key to bring it back to zero for no exposure compensation.

    Whilst we're on the subject, one hint for when you do get the camera
    working... My Oly has a tendency to overexpose outdoor shots in good
    sunlight. Grass, especially, comes much paler than it really was. I
    understand that this is a general problem rather than specific to my camera.

    Reducing the exposure with a couple of left arrow presses (to about -0.7)
    gives better colour rendition under these conditions.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Dec 23, 2004
  5. MaryL

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:48:25 -0600, RE: Re: Problems with Olympus
    C-2100 Ultra Zoom "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER>
    wrote:

    >> If you don't mind losing your date and time settings, then
    >> the simplest way to put it back to the Olympus default
    >> setup is to just remove the batteries for a few hours.
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    >Thanks. I'll try that.

    Let us know how it turns out.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

    Vic Dura, Dec 23, 2004
  6. Keith Sheppard wrote:

    > Whilst we're on the subject, one hint for when you do get the camera
    > working... My Oly has a tendency to overexpose outdoor shots in good
    > sunlight. Grass, especially, comes much paler than it really was. I
    > understand that this is a general problem rather than specific to my camera.
    >
    > Reducing the exposure with a couple of left arrow presses (to about -0.7)
    > gives better colour rendition under these conditions.

    I do the same, I also notice that the camera tends to overexpose towards
    the extreme of the telephoto range.
    As for restoring to default settings, doesn't a reset do that - on the
    on/off lever?

    Alan

    A.C.P.Crawshaw, Dec 23, 2004
  7. This is my second attempted response but I cannot see the first one in the
    newsgroup. Maybe I inadvertently hid Reply rather than Reply Group. My
    apologies if you see this twice, but here's my original message:

    Keith Sheppard, Dec 24, 2004