Problems with new PC games Lord of the rings & grand theft auto III

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heather Potter, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Children have just purchased 3 new games, we have no problems with
    RollerCoaster tycoon, but the other 2 are not working correctly.

    Grand Theft AUto - Installed OK(so my son says) but when we try and run the
    game it keeps stopping then restarting - the car speeds along for a few
    moments then slows to a stop before moving on again(as though its trying to
    catch up)

    Lord of the Rings - Installed OK but opens with a message - you are trying
    to open in a 16 bit window recommend a full screen 32 bit. The game opens in
    a window but picture breaks up and curser has a trail.
    How do Ichange to 32 bit full screen and will this affect anything
    else on my computer?

    Computer details
    Processor AMD Athion 1 GHz
    Memory 128MB SDRAM
    HardDisk 30GB high speed 7200rpm UDMA66 with 2MB buffer
    Graphics 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

    Multimedia HITACHI GD-7000 16 x DVD ROM
    DVD movie playback software
    Storage SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
    CD RW (8x4x32) 8 speed writing, 4 speed re-writing,32 speed reading
    CD creation & copy software (Easy CD creator)
    Sound Card SoundBlasterLive! Value (WDM)

    My computer details as at 2004-06-12
    (check by MR on my computer -performance tab)

    Memory 128.0 Mb of RAM
    32% free
    File system 32 bit
    Virtual memory 32 bit
    System configured for optimal performance

    Your none technical help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Heather
    Heather Potter, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Heather Potter

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would try a lot more RAM to begin with, if you are running Win 200, or XP,
    or XP Pro. Also make sure you have at least 1 Gig free hard disk space.
    Turn off the virus scanner while running many of these games that use a lot
    of resources. When the virus scanner is turned off, make sure that there is
    no email or internet access to the machine.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jun 12, 2004

  3. Heather Potter

    Gort Guest

    Heather Potter wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Children have just purchased 3 new games, we have no problems with
    > RollerCoaster tycoon, but the other 2 are not working correctly.
    >
    > Grand Theft AUto - Installed OK(so my son says) but when we try and
    > run the game it keeps stopping then restarting - the car speeds
    > along for a few moments then slows to a stop before moving on
    > again(as though its trying to catch up)
    >
    > Lord of the Rings - Installed OK but opens with a message - you are
    > trying to open in a 16 bit window recommend a full screen 32 bit. The
    > game opens in a window but picture breaks up and curser has a trail.
    > How do Ichange to 32 bit full screen and will this affect
    > anything else on my computer?
    >
    > Computer details
    > Processor AMD Athion 1 GHz
    > Memory 128MB SDRAM
    > HardDisk 30GB high speed 7200rpm UDMA66 with 2MB buffer
    > Graphics 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    >
    > Multimedia HITACHI GD-7000 16 x DVD ROM
    > DVD movie playback software
    > Storage SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
    > CD RW (8x4x32) 8 speed writing, 4 speed re-writing,32 speed reading
    > CD creation & copy software (Easy CD creator)
    > Sound Card SoundBlasterLive! Value (WDM)
    >

    > My computer details as at 2004-06-12
    > (check by MR on my computer -performance tab)
    >
    > Memory 128.0 Mb of RAM
    > 32% free
    > File system 32 bit
    > Virtual memory 32 bit
    > System configured for optimal performance
    >

    > Your none technical help appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Heather

    IF you're using XP, click Start, Control Panel, Appearance & Themes,
    Display,
    Settings,Color Quality.
    Click the arrow and change to Best (32 bit). Click Apply and OK.

    --
    Be wary of messing in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste
    good with Tabasco.
    Gort, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Heather Potter

    ddjim Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > Children have just purchased 3 new games, we have no problems with
    > RollerCoaster tycoon, but the other 2 are not working correctly.
    >
    > Grand Theft AUto - Installed OK(so my son says) but when we try and run

    the
    > game it keeps stopping then restarting - the car speeds along for a few
    > moments then slows to a stop before moving on again(as though its trying

    > catch up)
    >
    > Lord of the Rings - Installed OK but opens with a message - you are trying
    > to open in a 16 bit window recommend a full screen 32 bit. The game opens

    in
    > a window but picture breaks up and curser has a trail.
    > How do Ichange to 32 bit full screen and will this affect anything
    > else on my computer?
    >
    > Computer details
    > Processor AMD Athion 1 GHz
    > Memory 128MB SDRAM
    > HardDisk 30GB high speed 7200rpm UDMA66 with 2MB buffer
    > Graphics 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    >
    > Multimedia HITACHI GD-7000 16 x DVD ROM
    > DVD movie playback software
    > Storage SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
    > CD RW (8x4x32) 8 speed writing, 4 speed re-writing,32 speed reading
    > CD creation & copy software (Easy CD creator)
    > Sound Card SoundBlasterLive! Value (WDM)
    >

    > My computer details as at 2004-06-12
    > (check by MR on my computer -performance tab)
    >
    > Memory 128.0 Mb of RAM
    > 32% free
    > File system 32 bit
    > Virtual memory 32 bit
    > System configured for optimal performance
    >

    > Your none technical help appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Heather

    With the GTA, find out on their site if you are required to install a patch.
    ddjim, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Heather Potter

    Hamman Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > Children have just purchased 3 new games, we have no problems with
    > RollerCoaster tycoon, but the other 2 are not working correctly.
    >
    > Grand Theft AUto - Installed OK(so my son says) but when we try and run

    the
    > game it keeps stopping then restarting - the car speeds along for a few
    > moments then slows to a stop before moving on again(as though its trying

    > catch up)
    >
    > Lord of the Rings - Installed OK but opens with a message - you are trying
    > to open in a 16 bit window recommend a full screen 32 bit. The game opens

    in
    > a window but picture breaks up and curser has a trail.
    > How do Ichange to 32 bit full screen and will this affect anything
    > else on my computer?
    >
    > Computer details
    > Processor AMD Athion 1 GHz
    > Memory 128MB SDRAM
    > HardDisk 30GB high speed 7200rpm UDMA66 with 2MB buffer
    > Graphics 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    >
    > Multimedia HITACHI GD-7000 16 x DVD ROM
    > DVD movie playback software
    > Storage SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
    > CD RW (8x4x32) 8 speed writing, 4 speed re-writing,32 speed reading
    > CD creation & copy software (Easy CD creator)
    > Sound Card SoundBlasterLive! Value (WDM)
    >

    > My computer details as at 2004-06-12
    > (check by MR on my computer -performance tab)
    >
    > Memory 128.0 Mb of RAM
    > 32% free
    > File system 32 bit
    > Virtual memory 32 bit
    > System configured for optimal performance
    >

    > Your none technical help appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Heather

    First off, theres a known issue with GTA3 on nVidia card. It does thies even
    on my FX5600, and a friends Ti4800

    Secondly, your computer is nowhere near fast enough for these games,
    especially the lord of the rings one. I just about managed to get that
    smooth at 1024x768 on a GeForce4MX 440 with an AthXP 2200+ and 768Mb of RAM
    with no AA or AS.

    A 1GHz PC really doesnt get you far with todays games, but if you really
    cant upgrade, give it at least another 512Mb or ram, preferably more, and
    look at upgrading the graphics card to a GF3, GF4Ti or FX5600+

    hamman
    Hamman, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Heather Potter

    Ava Keech Guest

    >Children have just purchased 3 new games, we have no problems with
    >RollerCoaster tycoon, but the other 2 are not working correctly.
    >Computer details
    >Processor AMD Athion 1 GHz
    >Memory 128MB SDRAM
    >HardDisk 30GB high speed 7200rpm UDMA66 with 2MB buffer
    >Graphics 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

    You computer really doesn't have the horsepower needed to run these games
    correctly. You might try running a program called EndItAll before the game to
    free up some system resources.
    Ava Keech, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Heather Potter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:
    > I would try a lot more RAM to begin with, if you are running Win 200,
    > or XP, or XP Pro. Also make sure you have at least 1 Gig free hard
    > disk space. Turn off the virus scanner while running many of these
    > games that use a lot of resources. When the virus scanner is turned
    > off, make sure that there is no email or internet access to the
    > machine.

    Dang right! I won't even run XP by itself in 128meg, much less any serious
    applications <g>

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Hi,
    I have sorted out the 16 bit /32 bit mode- but still the picture is broken
    and the words and curser leave trails - if this is due to the RAM - how do I
    increase that...I did say I was non technical !!!!!!!!!
    Tks
    Heather

    PS Im using Windows ME (4.90.3000 according to 'My computer' properties but
    I thought I had upgraded to 5.50.4134.0100 and Windows does not have any
    upgrades for me)

    Heather Potter, Jun 13, 2004
  9. Heather Potter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Could be RAM, CPU speed, video card, most likely it's a combination of the
    three. See some of the other replies to your original post.

    You're at a point where you need to look seriously at your system and say
    "is this what I want for the next xx months/years?" Obviously, you want to
    play some games requiring a "fully loaded" system. You can do some checking
    into what upgrades are available for that machine, or you can look at a
    system designed for the type of games you want to play.

    Upgrading the video card (display adapter) is fairly easy. Adding more RAM
    is usually easy. The CPU (which is the real workplace of the system) may not
    be possible, or not enough to get you any real difference.

    Personally, I don't do games. Your video card is fine for what I do - basic
    business related computing, some light CAD work, etc. Get some advice from
    the gamers out there regarding what video card you need. Your motherboard
    probably is set up with AGP 2X or maybe 4X. Before you buy a card, you'll
    need to verify which speed, and whether the new card will be compatible. I
    believe AGP 8X is backwards compatible, but always ask!

    RAM is easy, and even if you decide to purchase another system that is
    better designed for games, you will either 1) sell this machine, or 2) let
    someone else use it. Either way, more RAM is almost essential. You may need
    to look inside the case to see what expansion options you have. If all the
    slots for RAM are filled, it means replacing the RAM you have. If you have
    one or more slots open, you can buy more RAM and add it in. You'll need to
    figure out what kind and speed of RAM you have, and what the maximum module
    size is that your motherboard can handle (128, 256, 512, or 1gig per
    module - you don't want to buy 512meg modules and then find out your
    motherboard can only handle the 256meg size.)

    Okay. The clincher. The CPU. You'll need to find out who made the
    motherboard, and what model/revision it is. Then you can find out if there
    is a faster CPU that can be installed in it. AMD microprocessors are good,
    and relatively inexpensive. But there's no sense in buying anything until
    you know it will work in the system. Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a
    CPU that will only add a few hundred MHz to where you are now - it won't be
    enough to make the games run the way they should. So that means upgrading
    the motherboard to fit a faster CPU. And the new motherboard is going to
    take a different speed of RAM.

    Can you see where this is going? In order to really get that system up to
    gaming speed, you need to replace the motherboard, the memory, the video
    card, and the CPU. And if you put in really hot components, you'll probably
    need to upgrade the power supply to handle the increased load. What's left?
    The drives, maybe modem, sound card, externals (monitor, keyboard, etc.).
    Wow. Not much. By the time you've bought all the new parts, you've spent
    almost as much as a new computer...and you have hours of dissassembly,
    reassembly, and reconfiguring your OS to get it all to work.

    So, while there honestly is no "non-technical" fix for getting the games to
    run well, now you can see what the technical problems are. If it were me,
    and I really wanted these games (and any more new games they buy) to run
    well, I'd be shopping at the local computer shop. Not for one "off the
    shelf", but working with a technician who 1) understands games and the
    hardware needed, and 2) isn't paid on commission <g>!

    Heather Potter wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I have sorted out the 16 bit /32 bit mode- but still the picture is
    >> broken and the words and curser leave trails - if this is due to the
    >> RAM - how do I increase that...I did say I was non technical
    >> !!!!!!!!!
    >> Tks
    >> Heather
    >>
    >> PS Im using Windows ME (4.90.3000 according to 'My computer'
    >> properties but I thought I had upgraded to 5.50.4134.0100 and
    >> Windows does not have any upgrades for me)
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Dang right! I won't even run XP by itself in 128meg, much less any
    >>> serious applications <g>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2004