problems with new comp

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by bosh, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. bosh

    bosh Guest

    I've bought the following parts and built a computer with the HD and disk
    drives from my old comp.

    1. PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0
    Upto a 3.2+ CPU Motherboard in Retail Box
    2. AMD Athlon XP2600 333mhz 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsin &
    fan 3 year warranty-
    3. XFX Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP8x TV-Out Low Profile Retail Box
    4. Mercedes Style PC-179 ATX Tower Case 350w PSU White
    5. Ebuyer 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Extra Value Ram

    But i am getting the problem of the machine resetting by itself all the time
    within windows, mainly during games, and also returning to windows during
    games . I also get a few artifact on games (colin mcray3 and simpsons hit
    and run) but this is only in the low resolution in-game menus and start up
    screens.

    Another problem is that motherboard monitor, and sandra report very high
    temperatures.. (in excess of 130 degrees celcius.. which I can't see
    happening). When looking through the bios the temp is a more reasonable
    46-48 degrees

    I have tried updating the mother board drivers, apg drivers, ndivia drivers,
    sound card drivers.

    I have tried pulling out the ram stick to see if they were faulty. And for a
    while the problems went away because i move the ram sticks from port 1 and 2
    to 1 and 3 but this must have been a coincidence.

    I have tried looking for viruses, i found one (lovesan.A) and removed it but
    this as not effect on the problems.

    Any idea what is going on and what else to i try?

    cheers

    bosh
    bosh, Jan 14, 2004

  2. bosh

    Night_Seer Guest

    bosh wrote:
    > I've bought the following parts and built a computer with the HD and
    > disk drives from my old comp.
    >
    > 1. PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH
    > Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 Upto a 3.2+ CPU Motherboard in Retail Box
    > 2. AMD Athlon XP2600 333mhz 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc
    > Heatsin & fan 3 year warranty-
    > 3. XFX Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP8x TV-Out Low Profile Retail Box
    > 4. Mercedes Style PC-179 ATX Tower Case 350w PSU White
    > 5. Ebuyer 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Extra Value Ram
    >

    > But i am getting the problem of the machine resetting by itself all
    > the time within windows, mainly during games, and also returning to
    > windows during games . I also get a few artifact on games (colin
    > mcray3 and simpsons hit and run) but this is only in the low
    > resolution in-game menus and start up screens.
    >
    > Another problem is that motherboard monitor, and sandra report very
    > high temperatures.. (in excess of 130 degrees celcius.. which I can't
    > see happening). When looking through the bios the temp is a more
    > reasonable 46-48 degrees
    >
    > I have tried updating the mother board drivers, apg drivers, ndivia
    > drivers, sound card drivers.
    >
    > I have tried pulling out the ram stick to see if they were faulty.
    > And for a while the problems went away because i move the ram sticks
    > from port 1 and 2 to 1 and 3 but this must have been a coincidence.
    >
    > I have tried looking for viruses, i found one (lovesan.A) and removed
    > it but this as not effect on the problems.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on and what else to i try?
    >

    > cheers
    >
    > bosh

    Does sound like it might be a heat issue, make sure all your fans are
    working properly. The resetting also happened before fromt he blaster
    worm, but not sure if that's it.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 15, 2004

  3. bosh

    Brad Guest

    I had a similar problem a while back with my computer randomly restarting
    itself. It was due to heat. I installed a second fan in my case to blow the
    warm air out the back and never had a problem like that again. Brad

    Brad, Jan 15, 2004
  4. bosh

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "bosh" <> wrote in

    > But i am getting the problem of the machine resetting by itself all
    > the time within windows, mainly during games, and also returning to
    > windows during games . I also get a few artifact on games (colin
    > mcray3 and simpsons hit and run) but this is only in the low
    > resolution in-game menus and start up screens.

    More than likely you bought dirt cheap memory that gives dirt cheap
    results

    > Another problem is that motherboard monitor, and sandra report very
    > high temperatures.. (in excess of 130 degrees celcius.. which I can't
    > see happening). When looking through the bios the temp is a more
    > reasonable 46-48 degrees

    Sandra reports similar readings on my board (ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe). Try
    Aida32 out, it has a sensor tab to show what the board sensors are
    reading.

    > I have tried updating the mother board drivers, apg drivers, ndivia
    > drivers, sound card drivers.

    Always a good idea

    > I have tried pulling out the ram stick to see if they were faulty. And
    > for a while the problems went away because i move the ram sticks from
    > port 1 and 2 to 1 and 3 but this must have been a coincidence.

    Probably not. Try one stick at a time, I'd be willing to bet either
    one/both of the sticks are bad (which happens when you buy "Extra Value"
    memory. Save money, get headache. Or, it's possible your PSU is flakey,
    and it isn't keeping the voltages steady. Again, check with AIDA32

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 15, 2004
  5. bosh

    dennis Guest

    When you built your system did you put down a thin layer of that heat
    transfer goop that goes between your processor and your cooling fan
    assembly? (the name of the stuff escapes me) That can definitely cause
    problems you describe. I built my daughter's system a couple of years ago
    with a 1G coppermine and would consistently reboot when running above 1/2
    its rated speed until I remembered to put the goop down.

    good luck

    dennis, Jan 15, 2004
  6. It isn't a great solution but try adjusting your AGP from 8x to 4x in your
    BIOS. It probably won't fix your problem, but if it does at least you've
    tracked it to the video setup.

    &

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 16, 2004
  7. bosh

    mike Guest

    "bosh" <> wrote in message
    > I've bought the following parts and built a computer with the HD and disk
    > drives from my old comp.
    >
    > 1. PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB

    2.0
    > Upto a 3.2+ CPU Motherboard in Retail Box
    > 2. AMD Athlon XP2600 333mhz 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsin &
    > fan 3 year warranty-
    > 3. XFX Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP8x TV-Out Low Profile Retail Box
    > 4. Mercedes Style PC-179 ATX Tower Case 350w PSU White
    > 5. Ebuyer 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Extra Value Ram

    Try process of elimination if at all possible disable on board devices in
    your bios and replace them with known working pci or agp divice do them one
    at a time starting with just the bare minimum.....video card only repeat for
    all other added devices till you find what is causing the problem it sounds
    video related to me but with onboard devices sometimes hard to tell......
    After you have completed the above procedure and problem still exists it is
    mostly likely going to turn out to be your mobo and yes dont forget to test
    the ram

    Good luck
    mike, Jan 16, 2004
  8. bosh

    mike Guest

    oops one added thing here check the basics first make sure all grounding is
    good and all connectors are fastened and reseat all add on cards and
    processor

    mike, Jan 16, 2004