problems with 'manage your server'

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. Hi everyone,
    I have a windows 2003 server sp2, everything was working fine, and then,
    right on the middle of opening my regedit32, we had a power failure. the
    server was shuttingdown and restarting continuously, finally i could get to
    the last good known configuration and could access my server.
    I've been checking settings and testing it and found out these issues

    1.- when i open the 'manage your server' screen, and i select 'add/remove a
    role' i got this mesage:
    "Windows cannot find the file or page you requested
    (%WinDir%\system32\cys.exe /skipwelcome) Press F5 to refresh the manage your
    server page and then lick the link again"
    I can manually go to \windows\system32\ and run cys.exe and i get to the
    server wizard without any problem.
    2.- If i select the 'manager your file server"' i got the same error just
    with different filename, " FS.msc"
    in this case, if i go to \windows\system32 and run FS.msc, first i got a
    screen saying 'cannot find resource file', I click on the OK button and then
    another screen shows up saying 'MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and
    will unload it' and gives me 2 options, report this error to microsoft and
    thenn shut down MMC and the second one, unload the snap-in and continue
    running. I click the second option and get another screen 'unhandled
    exception in managed code snap-in', FX:{f7da6f14-f244-401a-9259-f015a82057d3}
    type 'microsoft.starage.fileserverrole.invalid configurationexc,
    Exception type: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationExcepption
    Server stack trace:

    Server stack trace:
    at
    System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.InitSerialize(Object
    obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context,
    SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter,
    ObjectWriter objectWriter)
    at
    System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Serialize(Object
    graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck)
    at
    System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck)
    at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSerializer.SerializeMessageParts(ArrayList argsToSerialize)
    at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.SmuggledMethodReturnMessage..ctor(IMethodReturnMessage mrm)
    at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.SmuggledMethodReturnMessage.SmuggleIfPossible(IMessage msg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSink.DoDispatch(Byte[]
    reqStmBuff, SmuggledMethodCallMessage smuggledMcm,
    SmuggledMethodReturnMessage& smuggledMrm)
    at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSink.DoTransitionDispatchCallback(Object[] args)

    Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at
    Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
    at
    Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
    at
    Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
    at
    Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32
    bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

    any idea on what is going on or what link orconfiguration I have lost?

    --
    HMO Fallen Angel
    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 1, 2007

  2. I guess i found the problem.
    Looking on the enviroment variables, under system variables, I only have the
    'cluster log' with \c:\windows\cluster\cluster.log
    and 'path' with
    "SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem"
    what other path i'm missing?
    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 1, 2007

  3. C:\ > set
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
    ClusterLog=C:\WINDOWS\Cluster\cluster.log
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=<yourcomputername>
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    LOGONSERVER=\\DOMAINCONTROLLER
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=4
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32
    \WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\WINDOWS\MsNfs\
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f06
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1
    USERDNSDOMAIN=DOMAIN.LOCAL
    USERDOMAIN=DOMAIN
    USERNAME=Administrator
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.
    windir=C:\WINDOWS

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "HMO Fallen Angel" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 2, 2007
  4. forgot to say it's a win 2003 server R2 64 bits, is this info the same?
    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 3, 2007
  5. yes, since that's what I took it on.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "HMO Fallen Angel" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Ok,
    thanks you!!!

    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 7, 2007
  7. I was about to start making these changes, and then tried the 'set' on
    command prompt and it displayed the whole informacion.
    So, if i use 'set' i see all the paths and everything, but if i go to
    'control panel, system, advanced, enviromental variable' i don't see all of
    them.
    what can be causing this?
    should i make the changes anyways or leave them like that?
    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 7, 2007
  8. Environment variables are done a bit differently, you may not see them all
    in the System Variables section. The ones you should see from there are:
    ClusterLog
    ComSpec
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
    Number_of_processors
    OS
    Path
    PathExt
    Processor_Architecture
    Processor_Identifier
    Processor_Level
    Processor_Revision
    Temp
    Tmp
    windir

    Temp and Tmp are overwritten by a user specific variable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "HMO Fallen Angel" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 8, 2007
  9. under the enviroment variables (system variables) I only can see:
    ClusterLog
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
    OS
    path
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL
    PROCESSOR_REVISION
    WINDIR

    I don't have:
    ComSpec
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
    PathExt
    tmp
    temp

    what do i need to do?

    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Aug 8, 2007
  10. you definitely NEED ComSpec and PathExt. See my original post for what to
    set them to. Temp and tmp must be set as well, but can be set on a per user
    basis, though you should also have a general one for things that happen
    outside of a user context.

    I have no idea what FP_NO_HOST_CHECK does or is used by.

    ComSpec defines what the command line shell is (C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe,
    normally.)

    PathExt defines what extensions are searched in what order when you type a
    program name (or click on something that does). Without PathExt, there are
    no executables on your system.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "HMO Fallen Angel" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Better late than never.
    Finally i could finish with these settings.
    Thanks so much for all your help :)
    --
    HMO Fallen Angel

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=, Oct 5, 2007
  12. Oh, good. Glad to hear it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "HMO Fallen Angel" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 5, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=

    MOA Guest

    We've recently experienced similiar difficulty with our W2k3R2 server

    There is similiarity because the 'Manage Your Server' returns a blank
    window. In our case the 'Search' form returns with a Blank shell and
    'Extended' view in MMC for 'Services 'is blank too.

    Would these be caused by a failure in the environment variable?

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    MOA, Nov 30, 2007
  14. Could be. Certainly worth a look to see if something isn't right.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SE1PIEZhbGxlbiBBbmdlbA==?=

    MOA Guest

    Thanks for your reply,
    We've been able to check the 'system variables' within 'environment
    varibles'. They check out okay. How do we determine the presents and value
    of the other 'Set' items per your August 1 posting?

    Dave

    MOA, Nov 30, 2007
  16. let's start over, please. Trying to work off an august thread is hopeless.
    Please carefully define your problem in a new thread. With the details of
    what you did to get to where you are.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64