Problems with linksys WAG54GS "Disconnect after certain time"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by schweigerfl@hotmail.com, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi people,

    i have a problem with my linksys modem. I have install my linksys
    WAG54GS and it runs fine, but after certain time the internet
    connection was broken off. So i logg in one more time an press the
    button "connect". It helped but just for a few minutes and then it
    disconnect again...

    Sometimes the leds "DSL" went off, come back again in 1 hour or more or

    i logg in again into the modem and press the button "connect".
    Sometimes it went on or not!

    Waybe some one of you has the same problem an could help me?
    Would be nice....

    Thanks for the help
    Steven

    , Jan 16, 2006

  2. Lem Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi people,
    >
    > i have a problem with my linksys modem. I have install my linksys
    > WAG54GS and it runs fine, but after certain time the internet
    > connection was broken off. So i logg in one more time an press the
    > button "connect". It helped but just for a few minutes and then it
    > disconnect again...
    >
    > Sometimes the leds "DSL" went off, come back again in 1 hour or more or
    >
    > i logg in again into the modem and press the button "connect".
    > Sometimes it went on or not!
    >
    > Waybe some one of you has the same problem an could help me?
    > Would be nice....
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    > Steven

    There can be many reasons why a DSL connection drops. Make sure that you
    have not set "connect on demand" to disconnect after a given period of idle
    time and that you have set "keep alive" to frequently check to see if you
    need to (automatically) re-connect. From the WAG54G manual:

    Appendix A: Troubleshooting
    Common Problems and Solutions
    14. My DSL service’s PPPoE is always disconnecting.
    PPPoE is not actually a dedicated or always-on connection. The DSL ISP can
    disconnect the service after a period of inactivity, just like a normal
    phone dial-up connection to the Internet.
    • There is a setup option to “keep alive” the connection. This may not
    always work, so you may need to reestablish connection periodically.

    1. To connect to the Gateway, go to the web browser, and enter
    http://192.168.1.1 or the IP address of the Gateway.
    2. Enter the username and password, if asked. (The default username and
    password is admin.)
    3. On the Setup screen, select the option Keep Alive, and set the Redial
    Period option at 20 (seconds).
    4. Click the Save Settings button. Click the Status tab, and click the
    Connect button.
    5. You may see the login status display as Connecting. Press the F5 key to
    refresh the screen, until you see the login status display as Connected.
    6. Click the Save Settings button to continue.
    • If the connection is lost again, follow steps 1- 6 to re-establish
    connection.

    If this doesn't help, you may need to speak with your ISP's tech support to
    see if there' is a problem with your DSL line.

    Lem, Jan 17, 2006